What do you guys think about the Garrett AT Pro?

Garfield1997

Mar 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I'm in the process of saving for one. I'm almost there, but now I'm starting to have doubts. What do you guys think about it? How does it compare to metal detectors in the same price range? How long will it last before you absolutely need to replace it? I mean, assuming you're careful with it, how long before the material starts to break down and become unusable? If something does go wrong and it's out of warranty, can I pay Garrett to fix it?

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a Whites's Blue and Gray (sold) , a Bounty Hunter Landstar, Tesoro Golden Umax, and Garrett AT Pro, instead of comparisons I like to see how a machine preforms for the needs I have for a detector, each one I have or had preformed exactly like the manufacturer said it would, found good stuff with all, so trying to tell you how long one will last is trying to predict how much rain we will get this year, if one is taken care of they are all made to last.. What your probable trying to say is "am I going to get my monies worth" because 5 to 6 big one's is a lot of money to most of us.. Will you enjoy your Garrett,, that all depends on you,, you'll get out of it,, what you put in,, if your not willing to learn it's language, it don't matter what detector you buy,, you'll not be satisfied,, to me detecting is as much about being outside and the excitement of what might be under the next good signal no matter what detector I carry out,, each one is like owning a pet, no 2 dogs, horses etc are alike.. I've seen guys on the tube put the AT in deep water and carry it on land and it still hunt and find good treasures,, not trying to sell you on the AT, but I grant you it will stand it's ground with all the others in it's price range,, but the others are still just as good and will find just as much,, some warranties are better,, like my Tesoro can not beat the life time warranty,, but it's a fair weather detector, so you'll just have to decide if that's good or bad for you... What ever you decide,, it will be right for you... just have fun... :hello: And by the way Welcome to the forum,, many many good detectorist here believe me you'll learn a lot here,, nothing like good information..

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No info Here Yet Our, Just Got Delivered And Going Out On It First Hunt On Saturday Morning, Cough Cough Maybe tommrow Afternoon Depending on the Weather!!! Chug

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro has made me addicted to this. I root through the dirt now like a wild hog with this thing.

After several months I decided this was so much fun for me, I was gonna give this to my son and buy a wicked good expensive detector for myself. Well guess what, you need to spend about three times as much to get a detector that will give you clearly improved benefits over the AT pro. Sure some little features and odds and ends different, but will a detector 1000 bucks work better then the AT Pro? the consensus is NO. Sure some folks will argue this, that's fine it's what makes the world go around. However, once you learn the language of the tones and the sweep speed and pattern. The AT Pro will talk to you and share all the information you want about what it's sniffing out.

There is one quick improvement to the AT Pro that I must suggest. The 8X5 DD coil. It's the proper size for this machine for general hunting. The stock coil is a bit on the big side for general use. It's unable to select and describe the coin sized targets to you as well as the smaller coil. It sweeps a bigger area, and looks wicked cool, but there is a big advantage to the 8X5 for me, and I think about everyone who has used it.

The next two things that I can suggest to help you is reduce the sensitivity to about 5-6, it will go as deep on worthwhile targets and not create so much noise and temptation on junk targets.

Finally select and area in your yard and plant coins, poptops, crown bottle caps, and some other stuff. All about a foot apart. Then practice learning the sounds and the display as much as you can. Hope this helps, it sure improved my AT pro relationship!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been loving my AT Pro, but I'm just a rookie. It did not take long for me to get a feel for the unit and have it start producing the results I expected. My advice is to watch lots of videos on the unit, and learn the PRO mode from the start. It was a little disheartening at the start, as the unit kept freaking out on me and not locating targets, but a little time messing with the GB, frequency and sensitivity and testing planted targets is a great way to get into the groove.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett AT Pro is a durable unit designed for all terrain use. It's a great value, that's why demand is high. Garrett stands behind their products - they will continue to support the product long after the warranty expires.

As Diggn Alabama said, you get what you put in. Educate yourself on the detector and spend 30-60 hours to get a good feel for what it is telling you.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a electronic device with no moving parts (except for the controls)...you will most likely have forgotten you ever asked the question about the materials breaking down, long before they do. Probably a more fruitful question would be how reliable the model is, and potential problems. Doing even a small amount of reading/research on this forum and others will give you your answer. The AT Pro is a favorite among many at the price point. Wearing out a metal detector is not really a valid concern :)

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider the AT Pro the best bang for the buck right now, your basically getting a mid grade detector that almost PERFORMS like a top end detector. Now in saying that I have been detecting for around 20 years and once you learn the machine it will perform like that and notice im saying performs, im not saying the actual detector is like a high end detector because it lacks the bells and whistles and gps and ability to download programs from the computer.. etc.. Feel free to contact me, I have great deals for Forum Members and I am hoping to have them back in stock by the end of the week. As mentioned above, I also recommend the 5x8 dd coil. Thank you, Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread