What's new

What do you suppose this bullet struck? (Solved -Unsolvable)

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,354
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this back in 2008, but never have figured out what it struck. Looks like rust stains around the egdes, so I assume it struck a piece of iron .. Thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • bullet.webp
    bullet.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 338
Re: What do you suppose this bullet struck?

Letting my imagination runnnnn....this...........~~~ :icon_profileright:
 

Attachments

  • 1_field_cannon_cast_iron_barrel.webp
    1_field_cannon_cast_iron_barrel.webp
    70.2 KB · Views: 294
Upvote 0
Re: What do you suppose this bullet struck?

Here is a little better photo of the imprint
 

Attachments

  • bullet2.webp
    bullet2.webp
    75.3 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0
Re: What do you suppose this bullet struck?

I think I'm getting closer...
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0003.webp
    DSC_0003.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 296
Upvote 0
Re: What do you suppose this bullet struck?

Did the bullet back into the bottom of a skillet? :sign10:
 
Upvote 0
Re: What do you suppose this bullet struck?

Some years ago one of the arms companies, I believe it was Remington, did a study on civilwar bullets to try and see if they could interprit what they were hitting. They use sand, dead animals, rocks, etc. The end result was that, because lead by itself is so soft, they couldn't determine how to identify what had been hit.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What do you suppose this bullet struck?

duggap said:
Some years ago one of the arms companies, I believe it was Remington, did a study on civilwar bullets to try and see if they could interprit what they were hitting. They use sand, dead animals, rocks, etc. The end result was that, because lead by itself is so soft, they couldn't determine how to identify what had been hit.

I agree with that assessment, but most impact bullets that I have seen don't have such a well defined impression as this one does.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom