What do you think is the best "sleeper" metal detector?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What do you think is the best "sleeper" metal detector?

I agree KJ$IPW. The users skill, in most cases, is far more important than a detectors ability. I do believe that finding a sleeper in modern detectors would be tough. When a potential sleeper is discovered, it doesn't take long before its all over the Internet and common knowledge by most detectorist.

If I were an dedicated relic hunter then I'm sure I'd know more about the Nautilus line. The same is true about well known beach/water detectors. Not many beaches here in southwest Kansas. I am a very strong supporter of the DFX, although I know its not the best detector made, because I have been very successful with it in the types of hunting I do. It is, however, one of the top performing detectors I have ever used. Both the V3 and E-Trac kick its butt though.

I also believe that over time the best detectors rise to the top of popularity. By best I mean the best for more people. We all know what works for one person doesn't guarantee it will work for all people, but generally the detectors that do rise to the top in popularity do so because they worked well for a higher number of users than other detectors.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Digger said:
I also believe that over time the best detectors rise to the top of popularity. By best I mean the best for more people. We all know what works for one person doesn't guarantee it will work for all people, but generally the detectors that do rise to the top in popularity do so because they worked well for a higher number of users than other detectors.

Yes that is what I mean. Consider this thread a possible boost for those detectors. The omega for instance. I know it has only been out for less than a year but it really really is a great machine.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

U.K. Brian said:
This topic was posted on another forum and the Musketeer/Advantage did really come out as the "sleeper" machine but then its the only one that consistantly was undermined by its own manufacturer in its one frequency bad, multiple good, campaign.
Perhaps sold a little to cheap as well. When the price was increased the sales seemed to take off.

I will agree with that (the part about the Musky being a sleeper, anywho).

It is a deep penetrating machine that will find anything a much more expensive unit will and, once you learn her language, can distinguish most trash from coins. With a great headset it becomes a great detector. A first class relic machine but it can be frustrating in trashy spots for coin shooting. It LOVES aluminum.

New ones are not inexpensive ($700) but a used one can be had for $225 or $250 as everyone wants a display. They were $500 last year. Whahappenned? Not sure they are worth $700 compared to what else is out there now.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I have to agree on the Musky as a sleeper a great detector that you do not hear much about. But i also think that the price on it is to high. I think that is why they do not sell that well. I paid $239.00 plus $15.00 shipping for mine off ebay like brand new and the warranty card came with it................Yes the Musky is a big sleeper it has been around a long time and you see no one useing it when you go out. It could be the high price they want for it..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I paid $175 for mine with two coils and both the alkaline and rechargable battery trays with wall-wart charger. I had a damage issue (cord yanked out of the control box in a fall) and Minelab took care of it for $15 plus my shipping it there.

Can't beat that with a stick.

I use it as a back-up and it makes a great loaner when company comes. I like the 8" coil better than the 10". It is beastly heavy compaired to "modern" detectors like the Fisher F series and the Minelab XT series.

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the Garrett 750 is a good sleeper because it does not have all the bells and whistles as the 1500 and on up, just the belltone for silver or coins. Most people by these minelabs and F-75,s just to keep up with the Jones.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My best sleepers are the tesoro Conquistador and the silver sabreII. They are like sleeping dogs at the moment waiting to hunt. So simple, deep and make me work digging every target. I love technology but not when it slows me down or says everything is a buckle !!!
Happy Huntin
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread