What do you think is the best "sleeper" metal detector?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What do you think is the best "sleeper" metal detector?

But there are detectors out there that most think are no good so they overlook them

OK I'll take that bet. Name me one detector that "most" people don't know about thats a sleeper? I'll agree there may be a few with tunnel vision but thats a few not most. Also, having tunnel vision is a matter of personal opinion. Just because someone doesn't see your less popular detector as you do doesn't give them tunnel vision. I've used several detectors that some people feel is the greatest thing on earth and found them mediocre at best for my conditions and hunting.

The MXT and ACE 250 are good examples of why I don't believe there are sleepers in the detector world. Everyone knows the MXT is not to be underestimated(sleeper) because of reputation. Cream will rise to the top naturally. Just because what you think is cream doesn't rise, doesn't make it cream/sleeper.

For the record. The term "sleeper", as being used here, originally refers to cars so using cars in comparison is on track. Also, any newer detector would really qualify as a sleeper until its been around quite awhile and still unknown. While I understand the context trying to be used to refer to an exceptional detector few people know about, I don't believe such a detector could exist. Thanks to these forums, as soon as a really good detector, agreed by the majority, is found everyone knows it.

Again, just because you think your Pioneer 202 is the best detector made and no one else knows it doesn't make it a sleeper.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This sounds like the gospel according to "Detector" on the Friendly Forum who's spent thirty years finding very little, has never tried any pulse machine and said a couple of years back that Nautilus machines could not be any good or he would have heard of them.
Nautilus lost the GNRS this year for only the second time in twelve years. An illustration of twenty year old technology still producing the goods as they still beat Minelab, Tesoro and Whites.

Re the Whites QXT its a great machine in the right area. Unfortunately it had quite a few areas where it didn't work well and this led to the Pro version never making it to Europe which didn't help sales.
The Whites Spectrums/Eagles/SL 90's etc could never be called sleepers as they were Whites best sellers for years. I never remember seeing any report that suggested the XLT was an improvement apart from the weight/balance and additional programme slots.
Two sleepers in the U.S. were the British built Whites 8000 and 800 models (more powerful versions of the Whites 5000 and 6000 best sellers and the Whites Classic Turbos which were a range of the Whites Classic's but power boosted to provide much greater depths. In the only report I've ever seen on a U.S. forum the Classic III Turbo either equalled or beat the depths of the Garrett 2500, Minelab Explorer, Troy Shadow X5, XLT, MXT etc.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gee Brian you really seem like someone with a chip on their shoulder. Did I find something you missed at some time?

Thirty years of finding very little? I guess you really don't know me as well as you think, or is it just more of the chip on your shoulder showing? Um... I live and hunt southwest Kansas. Why would I ever want to try a Pulse unit? Also, I believe my comment was the line that IF Nautilus was the greatest thing since instant pudding, more people would be using them. I'm sure Nautilus makes a fines detector but I believe its really good at one thing(relic hunting) so not so popular here in the states.

Now if you can get over yourself, and your personal problems, we can get back to the subject.

The reason I suggest the Eagle Spectrum, although it was White's best sellers, is because we are talking about sleepers today not 20 years ago. I'm sure a lot of new people to the hobby have no idea what some of those older less obvious detectors can do. As in sleeper. I believe the Eagle Spectrum could kick the crap out of most of todays mid-priced machines.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Ok Folks, no need to get personal. I just wanted EVERYONE'S opinion on what they feel is the best sleeper machine. I don't think I made any specifics as to age of the machine. Sometimes older is better.

Yes I realize that soil properties are different in different places and I was hoping that people would keep that in mind as some of you did by saying in trashy sites, or in highly mineralized soil and etc.

The nautilus machines I have never heard of until recently. How would I know to ask about this machine if it is not mentioned on these forums? This really is still a niche hobby and most people have no idea what you are doing or talking about. We have to rely on others to get our information or else we just buy and hope for the best.

This was the purpose of this thread as I mentioned above. To get people to perhaps open their minds to other machines as well as give a place for a new person to see the names of many different machines built by many different companies.

Does it matter if it is old or new? No it doesn't. Even if it is new, it can still be a sleeper because people just don't know about it YET. Eventually when they do know, then it will no longer be a sleeper. Get my point?

Please keep this thread civil and on topic. It will help others in the long run.

Thanks

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do apologize lafatlife. I do think this thread can have some valuable information for both new and old-timers.

I think the entire Tesoro line could be sleepers in a since. I have the Silver uMax, and for no-frills performance, it is hard to beat.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Thank you Digger, I appreciate that!!

Honestly I had not heard of the Tesoro line until I actually had a dream about one. I must have read it somewhere but just didn't pay attention to it. You hear all the time of the most popular manufacturers such as Minelab, Garrett, and Whites, then Fisher and etc. The amount of chatter away from the "bigwigs" drops exponentially (typically) depending on how long they have been in business.

Now, because of the forums, I have read that there was a really cheap (ie: $59) machine that works really well. How come people don't want to talk about those very often? I can tell you it is because people rib them about it. "It can't be good if it is that cheap". "It can't be good because it is made in China". Things like that discourage people and then it makes them second guess their purchase. That machine could be the next best thing but who would know?

This thread is for those people. Tell us why you think it is such a good machine and tell us a little bit about the area you use it in. Minelabs might not work well in my area even though they are a great machine. That cheap Chinese machine may work perfectly for me.

Know what I mean?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know what you mean. Heck, I'd use a turd on a stick if it did the job for me, and I would care one bit if others said my detector stinks. ;D

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

LOL now that would be a really cheap detector!!! :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Here it is....................................

Attachments

• tek-omega-600.jpg
    tek-omega-600.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 641

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Sleeper ?

...Easy Money once mentioned a $59 asian import that was a copy of the Tesoro Umax circuitry...
There is no better presenter of circuitry facts... if you want to reward them for their piracy...

The Little Yeller Feller is quite popular, but I'd go for a Tesoro Compadre.

The CRACKBADGER sometime uses a Little Yeller Feller at the beaches.
TABDOG uses a Compadre everywhere else.

Both of them are top notch detectorists !

Best
rmptr

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger, if you are in fact Detector as most seem to think, the chip as you put it is you blow hot and cold from month to month.

I posted re running the DFX alongside the XLT for six months then keeping the XLT as it worked better in my area. You were on the DFX is the worlds best machine kick, now it seems you have changed your mind. I also mentioned that I now always kept an older machine and ran the new alongside until the new proved it is better as I had regretted not doing this with my original Spectrum which in performance was better than the replacement XLT.

Re the Nautilus its not "relic only" in any respect, your words were "if it was any good you would have heard of it".
You now seem to like Tesoro and a couple of years back you didn't. I remember a dealer who posts on here coming to the Tejons defence.

I seem to remember spending a lot of time saying for Heavens sake just take your machine out, find a weak signal and experiment. It was all "metered good" non metered bad and the constant plug that everyone needed new technology. Something along the line of every time you went to your local park with a new machine you would find more.
Anyone disagreeing, what was your stock reply ? "I've been told" or "I've heard".

Sorry from the drift from the original topic folks but here's another aspect of it.

How many once top machines in their own speciality have now BECOME sleepers with the constant advertising for new technology and new is best.
I'm thinking of the pre motion machines that still outgun many modern machines, such as the Arado 120b and 130, the true iron see through machines such as the Compass 77b (or the poor man's version, a basic Whites TR), and the majority of pre motion that had no problem with rejecting crown caps.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

U.K. Brian said:
This sounds like the gospel according to "Detector" on the Friendly Forum who's spent thirty years finding very little, has never tried any pulse machine and said a couple of years back that Nautilus machines could not be any good or he would have heard of them.
Nautilus lost the GNRS this year for only the second time in twelve years. An illustration of twenty year old technology still producing the goods as they still beat Minelab, Tesoro and Whites.

Re the Whites QXT its a great machine in the right area. Unfortunately it had quite a few areas where it didn't work well and this led to the Pro version never making it to Europe which didn't help sales.
The Whites Spectrums/Eagles/SL 90's etc could never be called sleepers as they were Whites best sellers for years. I never remember seeing any report that suggested the XLT was an improvement apart from the weight/balance and additional programme slots.
Two sleepers in the U.S. were the British built Whites 8000 and 800 models (more powerful versions of the Whites 5000 and 6000 best sellers and the Whites Classic Turbos which were a range of the Whites Classic's but power boosted to provide much greater depths. In the only report I've ever seen on a U.S. forum the Classic III Turbo either equalled or beat the depths of the Garrett 2500, Minelab Explorer, Troy Shadow X5, XLT, MXT etc.

Have you been to a GNRS? It has VERY little to do with what detector is being used.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

U.K. Brian said:
How many once top machines in their own speciality have now BECOME sleepers with the constant advertising for new technology and new is best.
I'm thinking of the pre motion machines that still outgun many modern machines, such as the Arado 120b and 130, the true iron see through machines such as the Compass 77b (or the poor man's version, a basic Whites TR), and the majority of pre motion that had no problem with rejecting crown caps.

That is a fine example of what I am talking about. As I said earlier, it could be new or old.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Perhaps my earlier detectors were not good examples of the older non-motion detectors, but I found the depth to be 6" at most. With the old TR units it was a good 90% skill. It was tough enough to learn to tune your detector to be as sensitive as possible, but developing the skill to maintain a consistent height while as close to the ground as possible was a real challenge. Yes they were very responsive to small targets like gold chains, and separation was pretty good by design, but depth was not very impressive.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Well back then there were a lot more targets for people to dig as there were not many detectorists out there. Depths wasn't as much of a consideration at that time because people were digging and finding worthwhile stuff. Now that it is harder, depth is important.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

lafatlife said:
Thank you Digger, I appreciate that!!

Honestly I had not heard of the Tesoro line until I actually had a dream about one. I must have read it somewhere but just didn't pay attention to it. You hear all the time of the most popular manufacturers such as Minelab, Garrett, and Whites, then Fisher and etc. The amount of chatter away from the "bigwigs" drops exponentially (typically) depending on how long they have been in business.

Now, because of the forums, I have read that there was a really cheap (ie: $59) machine that works really well. How come people don't want to talk about those very often? I can tell you it is because people rib them about it. "It can't be good if it is that cheap". "It can't be good because it is made in China". Things like that discourage people and then it makes them second guess their purchase. That machine could be the next best thing but who would know?

This thread is for those people. Tell us why you think it is such a good machine and tell us a little bit about the area you use it in. Minelabs might not work well in my area even though they are a great machine. That cheap Chinese machine may work perfectly for me.

Know what I mean?
lafatlife > How can you live in Ct. and have heard of Whites ,Garrett , Fisher & Minelab and never heard of ..Tesoro they are a top of the line USA detector for years even before Minelab...?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro just hasn't been in the limelight for years. Kind of like Garrett. Great detectors, but they just don't have a contender sharing the light like a few others.

I loved my old Tesoro Inca and Mayan and was weaned on Garrett's.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Digger said:
Tesoro just hasn't been in the limelight for years. Kind of like Garrett. Great detectors, but they just don't have a contender sharing the light like a few others.

I loved my old Tesoro Inca and Mayan and was weaned on Garrett's.
I have been useing Garretts since about 1984 and i still can not give them up still use a GTI 1500. And the Minelab Sovereign since 1992 and can not give them up.........

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

Keppy said:
Lafatlife, How can you live in Ct. and have heard of Whites ,Garrett , Fisher & Minelab and never heard of ..Tesoro they are a top of the line USA detector for years even before Minelab...?

Because I am relatively new to Metal detecting. :dontknow:

KJ$IPW

Dec 6, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III, Whites 4900dl pro plus

While there may be a few "sleepers" out there, I think that in the end, it all boils down to knowing your detector. Knowing its strengths, and weaknesses, for example, Nautilus is supposed to be deep on relics(never used one, so I don't know), but I very seldom hear of anyone using one at the beach.One more example, my Whites classic III is a 2 filter machine(very quick signal response, works great in tot-lots), but my 4900 dl pro will beat it in depth. Just my 2cents
HH
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread