What do you think is the best "sleeper" metal detector?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: What do you think is the best "sleeper" metal detector?

I think they are all still primitive. They all sleep good.. It's like an old fart driving in the fast lane..

sorry

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For me the Tesero Golden Sabre.
I found lots of coins with that machine before falling for the expensive new gadgets.

terryinr.i.

Mar 31, 2009
R.I.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace250. Tasoro Vaquaro.

i think the Fisher F4 is a real sleeper. it is a coin magnet.

Normann

Mar 18, 2009
Thailand
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Seahunter Mark II,Fisher Goldbug 2

I think one in the topp range for sleepers is Garrett Seahunter Mark II. I never use the discmode, but all metal and digging it all.
It goes deep and after some time with it you learn what the Seahunter tell you. So some targets you can disc out by the sounds. Its a great detector in water and on the beach.

Good luck

Normann

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

A lot of people like the tid machines, but the Tesoro Cibola or Vaquero can hang with the big boys.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT

I think it's cool to see how many different machines are out there that people know little about. I am glad that I started this thread. Perhaps it will open everyone's minds to other possibilities.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since no one has mentioned the Minelab Advantage yet...

I guess that makes IT the real sleeper so far. :coffee:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This topic was posted on another forum and the Musketeer/Advantage did really come out as the "sleeper" machine but then its the only one that consistantly was undermined by its own manufacturer in its one frequency bad, multiple good, campaign.
Perhaps sold a little to cheap as well. When the price was increased the sales seemed to take off.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

U.K. Brian said:
This topic was posted on another forum and the Musketeer/Advantage did really come out as the "sleeper" machine but then its the only one that consistantly was undermined by its own manufacturer in its one frequency bad, multiple good, campaign.

'Perhaps sold a little to cheap as well. When the price was increased the sales seemed to take off.'

I dunno Brian, you might have that part backwards.

Multi-freq is good for a few things. But not my bag.

Tom

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It would be really hard for a true "sleeper" to remain unknown. It doesn't take long before such a secret gets out, because we are not the type to keep this to ourselves. I do believe one of the best performing, for the money, detectors would be the older White's Eagle Spectrum. It was produced at a time when most detectors users were either old timers, who swore by their old detectors, or new users who took the old timers opinions as gospel. I used the Eagle Spectrum for 18 years and then bought the XLT and then the DFX. The Eagle kept up with the XLT easily, and sometimes out performed it, and it can go every bit as deep as the DFX, just not as many options.

You can generally buy a used Eagle Spectrum for around $150. You won't get any better performance spending $600-$700.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

To me a sleeper would be a newer model detector that every one overlooks for some reason or another. The older DETECTORS that they don't make any more and that would be hard for every one to find would not be a sleeper for every one at that time period would know about it. And the Compass would not be a sleeper they are not made any more. And hard to find the one you would want. And harder to get parts for one they are a thing of the past for collectors. SO any detector they do not manfacture any more is not a sleeper.... A SLEEPER WOULD BE A DETECTOR THAT IS STILL MANFACTURED THAT IS A VERY GOOD DETECTOR THAT FOR SOME REASON EVERY ONE IS OVERLOOKING......... And it is not hard to be a true sleeper for every one is stuck on there own brand and the Omega 8000 is a true sleeper.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I was using the standard concept of a sleeper, and it isn't restricted by only newer items. There were many older cars that are thought as sleepers. People who find a so called sleeper detector will quickly tell the rest of the detecting world. Through testing of this so called sleeper by other it either becomes a well known favorite, of the sleeper concept is dispelled.

I believe any detector that is really good but few people know about it doesn't exist. Not in this hobby.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Digger said:
Well I was using the standard concept of a sleeper, and it isn't restricted by only newer items. There were many older cars that are thought as sleepers. People who find a so called sleeper detector will quickly tell the rest of the detecting world. Through testing of this so called sleeper by other it either becomes a well known favorite, of the sleeper concept is dispelled.

I believe any detector that is really good but few people know about it doesn't exist. Not in this hobby.
In this hobby there is detectors that in some peoples mind don't exist for all they have is tunnel vision......

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign

keppy I will say that you are right here... Sorry digger you are wrong. But there are detectors out there that most think are no good so they overlook them..........................And the whole thing is tunnel vision ...And we are talking sleepers in detectors not every thing in the world we are not talking cars ect. ect. get it?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch said:
lafatlife said:
Iron patch, you are right but there are some known brand names that have lesser known detectors. Again case in point, the Omega 8000. You hear about the T2 and the T2 LTD but not much about the Omega or for that matter the whole "Greek" line of detectors.

Never heard of the Omega at all but that doesn't really surprise me because I don't pay attention to other brands or anything new.
You see what Iron Patch has to say here................."""" This is what makes them sleepers tunnel vision."""""

Feb 24, 2004
Florida

I agree with Digger. If you don't mind the weight, i've owned an XLT and an Eagle at the same time. They are pretty close in ability and the eagle is easier to use-but heavier!

Digger said:
It would be really hard for a true "sleeper" to remain unknown. It doesn't take long before such a secret gets out, because we are not the type to keep this to ourselves. I do believe one of the best performing, for the money, detectors would be the older White's Eagle Spectrum. It was produced at a time when most detectors users were either old timers, who swore by their old detectors, or new users who took the old timers opinions as gospel. I used the Eagle Spectrum for 18 years and then bought the XLT and then the DFX. The Eagle kept up with the XLT easily, and sometimes out performed it, and it can go every bit as deep as the DFX, just not as many options.

You can generally buy a used Eagle Spectrum for around $150. You won't get any better performance spending $600-$700.

Feb 24, 2004
Florida

:tongue3: Hi Sandman! :icon_sunny: If those are sleepers, they must be in acoma! :icon_scratch:
Been sleeping a long, long time!
They most certainly were great detectors at the time though!! :headbang:

Sandman said:
Iron Patch said:
To tell you the truth I don't think there is such a thing because any decent detector becomes a very good detector when the site is great. My point being the other variables account for so much that little bit of "sleepiness" won't be much of a factor, and never account for much. (all high end units work well) That being said, I think best bang for the buck better describes what you are looking for, and I guess is somewhat the same. Just sounds like it would be easier to answer that way. So Ace 250? lower cost Tesoros?

One that I consider a "Sleeper" is the Fisher 1235-X and 1236-2 for land and competition hunts. It is also hipmountable for wading. With it's adjustment for changing the freq without changing coils it can hunt where other units are unstable. An it doesn't cost an arm an a leg.

The Silver Umax is also a good one for giving great results without all the $$$.

Feb 24, 2004
Florida

Hmmmmm, "sleepers" ??
I think the MXT got less attention than it deserved?
Certainly the Original and all following Sovereigns were top notch [but heavy] The Original was just as good as all the rest and still is!
On a negative note [Oh Oh! I'm asking for trouble!] I never met a Garrett I liked and I had 'em all.
They sound like pinball machines! :dontknow: and are almost as accurate! :'(
No offence meant. :laughing7:

lafatlife said:
One that not a lot of people talk about but you find it is a great machine hence "sleeper" in the title of this post.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

i think the whites QXT is a sleeper, ran with disc off and in 2 tone mode, great machine and excellent audio harmonics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread