What do you think it’s worth?

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! Wondering what you all think this bad boy is worth? Would you put a set price or would You you auction it online? Specific Gravity test shows 1 Troy oz gold content. Total weight is 48.9 grams. I’m curious what you all think. How would you price something like this if you were going to sell it?

Attachments

• IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1587.jpeg
    IMG_1587.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1575.jpeg
    IMG_1575.jpeg
    999.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1576.jpeg
    IMG_1576.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1581.jpeg
    IMG_1581.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1574.jpeg
    IMG_1574.jpeg
    993.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1577.jpeg
    IMG_1577.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Upvote 8

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Cannot advise on this as I have never tried it.

Could you separate the Gold from the Ore?

elemental mercury is used to extract gold from ore as an amalgam. The amalgam is typically isolated by hand and then heated—often with a torch or over a stove—to distill the mercury and isolate the gold.

OP
OP
minerjosh

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

elemental mercury is used to extract gold from ore as an amalgam. The amalgam is typically isolated by hand and then heated—often with a torch or over a stove—to distill the mercury and isolate the gold.

Thanks for the reply, i know there is an ounce of gold so surely it’s worth that if I was to extract all the gold. I’m more interested in the opinions on specimen value. This should stay the way it is in my opinion and be displayed in a collection

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all! Wondering what you all think this bad boy is worth? Would you put a set price or would You you auction it online? Specific Gravity test shows 1 Troy oz gold content. Total weight is 48.9 grams. I’m curious what you all think. How would you price something like this if you were going to sell it?
Beautiful specimen......I would keep it!

As far as someone selling it, I would say to auction it with a reserve price that you would be happy with. Like maybe spot times total weight of the specimen then rachet down if no bidders.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough one maybe $2500. $3500 usd, After seeing your beautiful specimen my mind wandered into the idea of how many rings like this could be made out of such specimen as that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103_102708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_102708_Chrome.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 22

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece, great find! Agree with tamrock, maybe talk to a lapidary jewelry maker to find out if the quartz is hard enough to polish. Properly slabbed and polished would probably max the value. Best of luck whatever you do.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m not sure how you know there’s an ounce of gold
$75

OP
OP
minerjosh

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not sure how you know there’s an ounce of gold
$75
Specific Gravity test. Confirmed by lapridary jeweler, a gold nugget sales company, and my local Gold dealer. Who all have the nice fancy SG scales. My at home test was spot on. Using 2 different formulas both came within 3 tenths of a gram with each other. 31.1 and 31.4 grams gold content.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The specific gravity test only works if it's only gold & quartz. If there's any sign of other minerals that you can see, then the specific gravity test doesn't work. Reguardless though, it's a 1½oz troy gold specimin nugget, so I'd either throw it on ebay for $2500.00 set as a minimum or ask $3000.00 for a buy it now. Because it's a nice specimin, figure the entire weight. If you need to sell it fast, like to a dealer, you might get probably $1500.00 - $2000.00 as is. So I'd definitely sell it on ebay or slab it myself.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the sample rock is slabbed from the center out you should get a good idea how much jewelry rock area there is and how many slabs there is to trade or sell.

OP
OP
minerjosh

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I sold that nugget. I’ve never sold gold online or shipped in the mail. I know eBay takes 13 or 14 % plus they charge more to advertise. I put it on there for an auction for a few days with 0 viewers. I tried to gooogle search my exact post and it never could be found on the internet. I think if you havnt ever used eBay they want you to buy ads before they put your item in the algorithm. I’m just guessing? Anyway I decided to drive around to a few different places within a couple hours drive to show it. After a couple of lowballer offers ($1500 range) I was a little disappointed. I know when I sell small gold nuggets 80-85% of spot is the normal. I’ve been finding and selling gold for several years. I was hopeful to get a better offer for this. I did get an offer over spot $2212. From one online gold trader that I sent emails to. I’m just not keen to shipping the gold first and receiving money after they get the nugget. I’m sure it was legit I just held off on that. A half hour away from me there is a lapidary/ jewelry shop/ mining museum. They were very excited about this and I just told them if I could get spot price for the ozt of gold I’d be happy. They wrote the check without thinking too hard about it. So I got $2,036. That was spot that day. I have no experience slabbing or jewelry making. I’m just the miner. I had to sell it well because that’s what I do and it paid some bills.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I sold that nugget. I’ve never sold gold online or shipped in the mail. I know eBay takes 13 or 14 % plus they charge more to advertise. I put it on there for an auction for a few days with 0 viewers. I tried to gooogle search my exact post and it never could be found on the internet. I think if you havnt ever used eBay they want you to buy ads before they put your item in the algorithm. I’m just guessing? Anyway I decided to drive around to a few different places within a couple hours drive to show it. After a couple of lowballer offers ($1500 range) I was a little disappointed. I know when I sell small gold nuggets 80-85% of spot is the normal. I’ve been finding and selling gold for several years. I was hopeful to get a better offer for this. I did get an offer over spot $2212. From one online gold trader that I sent emails to. I’m just not keen to shipping the gold first and receiving money after they get the nugget. I’m sure it was legit I just held off on that. A half hour away from me there is a lapidary/ jewelry shop/ mining museum. They were very excited about this and I just told them if I could get spot price for the ozt of gold I’d be happy. They wrote the check without thinking too hard about it. So I got $2,036. That was spot that day. I have no experience slabbing or jewelry making. I’m just the miner. I had to sell it well because that’s what I do and it paid some bills.
One can go for the long play, hoping to get more $$$.
Getting the cash in hand is always a nice kicker.
Congratulations on the recovery and sale.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gotta let go at times. Pretty fair deal I'd say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread