What do you think this is?

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is an item that I found on a 1600's French Fur Trade site... it seems to be made of a cast zinc based metal .. the hole was a post manufacture addition... Later I will add a drawing of what my and many of my scholarly friends best guess on this one.... but for now I would like to see what you fellas think it may have been.
Best Regards
Bob

Attachments

• gal.jpg
    gal.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 868
  • ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 852
  • bk.jpg
    bk.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 875
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the hole have any significance? If so, for its original use, or a modified use? It's quite a find regardless of what it is.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
This may sound stupid but is it some type of measuring scoop for salt or sugar? I would think they would measure out that type of thing when trading. Just a guess but it doesn't seem to have any breaks or evidence where something was attached. Keep us updated and very interesting find. :thumbsup:

Wolverine.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the patina shows true on the photo, I'd be inclined to say it's made out of a brass based metal.
Buried zinc doesn't hold up well in soils.
It's a great looking piece that's for sure. :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj said:
If the patina shows true on the photo, I'd be inclined to say it's made out of a brass based metal.

I would say brass also because it reminds me of the French marine buttons and broken buckle parts I find at my early French sites. A lot of my buttons turn black but I'm guessing that has more to do with our soil than the metal.

OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepperj said:

The reason I believe it to be a Zinc based metal is do to the white oxide on the back and pits in the surface .. it is definitely not brass .. though I wish it was.
Regards
Bob

OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spooky said:
Hi Bob.
:hello:

Does the hole appear to be threaded?

No threads in the hole... .. nor any indication of screw or bolt head contact on the surface either. let me also add the hole was drilled from the back..... the soil where it was found is very kind to all types of metals .. as you can see by the condition of many of the Jesuit rings and French Knife blades on my website. http://www.bobsphotogallery.com/gallery2/v/FurTrade/

Regards
Bob

nwctrader

Aug 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Hmm, very interesting & curious. Looks like a sort of gorget but...I don't know. I'll have to look through my books to see what I can find. When you mentiond it shows attributes of zinc that made me think hey wait...brass has zinc in it. So googled zinc brass and got this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass#Early_Copper_Zinc_Alloys which showed many alloys of brass that contained as much as 50% zinc or more. So maybe everyone is right. I'll loet ya know if I find anything.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nwctrader said:
Hmm, very interesting & curious. Looks like a sort of gorget but...I don't know. I'll have to look through my books to see what I can find. When you mentiond it shows attributes of zinc that made me think hey wait...brass has zinc in it. So googled zinc brass and got this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass#Early_Copper_Zinc_Alloys which showed many alloys of brass that contained as much as 50% zinc or more. So maybe everyone is right. I'll loet ya know if I find anything.

Makes sense. I didn't realize the white in the picture was actually white... so I agree it seems like a mixture. Now on to the what it is part.

OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nwctrader said:

Thank you Mark and everyone for adding your expertise and comments to this thread . Mark I believe you are correct ... I and my learn-id friends in this area thought it was a "Heart Plate" or "gorget" or "Medallion" as you can see in the drawing below ... and on the metal composition ..well the French Jesuits did use more than 50% Zinc in there brass Rings... that is why some times you see them with a gray patina and not a brown/ greenish color of the Flint lock butt plates of the era.... possible this heart plate could very well have some copper in it but if it does it would have to be a small percentage I would think to allow it to oxidize white.
Ya know every once and a while if you keep swinging that detector day after day .. your going to come up with a odd ball thing... maybe even a one of a kind artifact ... with no point of reference ... nothing may have been written down about it ... you never know this one may have a mention in some old documents in an archive in France.
What ever the case may be ... for me it is a pure form of enjoyment to ponder upon what they left behind for us to find.

Attachments

• web.jpg
    web.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 708
OP
OP
bobsphotogallery

bobsphotogallery

Sep 23, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nwctrader said:
Ah, very cool! Where'd you find the drawing?
Hello again,
I had a friend draw it up... as you already know.... a picture is worth a whole mouth full of words :wink:
but you never know some day someone my come up with some documentation and prove me and my friends wrong ... but that would be ok too .... it was only a groups best guess.
Regards
Bob

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bobsphotogallery said:
nwctrader said:
Ah, very cool! Where'd you find the drawing?
Hello again,
I had a friend draw it up... as you already know.... a picture is worth a whole mouth full of words :wink:
but you never know some day someone my come up with some documentation and prove me and my friends wrong ... but that would be ok too .... it was only a groups best guess.
Regards
Bob

It makes sense but must be frustrating not being able to confirm. The thing is it's obviously a quality piece so I'm sure someone has to know, or at least a reference somewhere. Once you find out I'll dig up mine. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions