What's new

What do you think??

shaf

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2008
Messages
77
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
This was found in Western Missouri. Any ideas on type?

IMAG0071.jpg


IMAG0070.jpg


IMAG0069.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Possible Folsom or Midland? Very nice point!
 
The point on the far right looks very much like your artifact. Midland points were originally called "unfluted Folsoms", beacuse they closely resembled classic Folsoms as regards to shape, size, and general method of flaking. They are very thin and unfluted. folder 2 009.2.webp
 
I was going to say it looked like a Goshen or Midland point..........Nice find..........Good research Digger........................GTP
 
nice parallel flaking, sure sign of paleo!
 
Yes Goshen or Midland. It is a very nice point. I bet if we had a side view it would be quite thin.
 
It is very thin. It has a twist to the upper third or so. I will get some pics from the side in a few days...I have to work tomorrow. By the way...Thank you all for the replies and opinions. You have taught me alot in the past few years.
 
It does kind of have a Goshen/Midland look to it, but Missouri (even western Mo) is pretty far from their homeland. That twist or beveling probably repaired the impact fracture when it hit bone in some ancient species of bison. I'm not sure they beveled much either, they normally just sacrificed length/width and kept the point strait.

I'd love to see a side shot when you get a chance. Maybe Neanderthal will clear up the typology question for us.
 
Here are more pics to show how thin and the twist in the point. The one pic has a key next to it to show the thickness. Enjoy!!

IMAG0075-1.jpg


IMAG0072-1.jpg


IMAG0073.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom