What era for this button?

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Need help with this buton. I do not find many military buttons. They are very few and show up only occassionally at the home sites we search. This one was found by my son in a field where the corn had just been cut. We have searched this field pretty good with Explorers and he pops this up with an ace 250! He also dug an indian cent. Oh yea and two years ago, in this same field, he dug a nice 1812 era riflemans button.

This one is really worn and it took a week in olive oil to bring out the detail. It looks a bit better to the eye. Took a lot of photos in varying light to get a couple good ones.

It is just slightly smaller then a quarter and a bit convex. There is a clear "29" and leaves or branches above the 29.

I could not find a match on the internet and have no foreign button books. What I have found so far in searching the internet I am inclined to say that it is a French 29th regiment. I say French because I only saw that type of loop on french buttons. I do not know the time period. I am guessing pre 1812. Am I on target or full of ........

Attachments

• 29A.JPG
    29A.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 408
  • 29B.JPG
    29B.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 408

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't see much detail. You may want to try aluminum jelly. That is the best way I have ever found to clean buttons. Put a little on in it and use a tooth pick to work on it. Rinse and repeat. You will be amazed at how well this takes the gunk off and keeps the patina of the button. Tip I learned from Buckleboy on the Cleaning and Preserving page.

OP
OP
M

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
There is nothing to clean. There is no patina. after 100 or more years of plowing and fertilizer the detail gets etched away. The only way I have found to bring out any detail is a long soak in olive oil. I have left items soak that you would swear are flat and smooth and later on (maybe several months) some detail will emege.

OP
OP
M

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
A little more searching turned up a photo and ID on a CW and antiques dealer site. It says it is a french coat button and Revolutionary era.

I think I will use a detector on my sons butt and see so I can find that horseshoe he has hidden there.

Attachments

• 29ID.jpg
    29ID.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 389

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark S. said:
A little more searching turned up a photo and ID on a CW and antiques dealer site. It says it is a french coat button and Revolutionary era.

I think I will use a detector on my sons butt and see so I can find that horseshoe he has hidden there.

Era must mean 1800s because that's what they date. Notice the differences, apart from the number of course. (The raised rim is the big one)

Attachments

• RWb27ds - buttons copy.jpg
    RWb27ds - buttons copy.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 369
OP
OP
M

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Ironpatch
Which type is the 1800's? With the raised rim or without? The one my son found does not appear to have a raised rim. I am just going by what I have found out so far. if you have more info then please explain. I am all ears.

I just looked a bit closer and the "2" is a little different. There is a hook at the bottom of the two on the example photo and also on the photo that you posted. There does not appear to be one on the button in question.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark S. said:
Ironpatch
Which type is the 1800's? With the raised rim or without? The one my son found does not appear to have a raised rim. I am just going by what I have found out so far. if you have more info then please explain. I am all ears.

I just looked a bit closer and the "2" is a little different. There is a hook at the bottom of the two on the example photo and also on the photo that you posted. There does not appear to be one on the button in question.

Both are 1800s. Look at the design above the number on your sons 29th, if it was early it would be very similar to the 41st. Like I said they are small differences, but big when it comes to dating them. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of the early 29th.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here's the page from the book. It's not a match, but I guess not all hope is lost for it dating early because some of the other numbered French buttons are similar in style. The type of turret shank/back on your son's also strikes me a little funny compared to the ones I've seen that I know are early, but I can't say exactly why, especially not having one here to compare. (or maybe I'm not quite awake yet :)) If the button was found in Virginia then my hunch could be dead wrong. I say hunch because I don't know enough about these to say anything for 100% certainty. What I can tell you is the French used that style for many years so unless you can find an exact match on the net, or in a book, you can't assume anything. (unless some features clearly show it's later - and the 2nd button you posted is definitely later) I can also say I've personally held these from all eras and it wouldn't have given me the feeling of being early enough to be Rev War. But like I said where it was found, and with what, and the history, would get me thinking a little.

Regardless it's still a good find. One of my diggin buds found a beautiful Rev War French 74th, and the other a slightly later French Marine Artillery. I am still looking for one. :thumbsup:

PS... The 1790s was a decade that had many changes for military buttons. There's far more that are classified as Rev War or 1812 period, than there are that crossed over both wars. And if they crossed over, usually a backmark tells the story.

Attachments

• fr291.jpg
    fr291.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 332
  • fr292.jpg
    fr292.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 343
OP
OP
M

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Found in Western New York state. The Niagara region saw a lot of action in the mid 1700's between the French and British. (Fort Niagara). The area where found did not see the white man until shortly after 1800.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark S. said:
Found in Western New York state. The Niagara region saw a lot of action in the mid 1700's between the French and British. (Fort Niagara). The area where found did not see the white man until shortly after 1800.

But I tell ya when it comes to military buttons all bets are off for what can show up where. It could have been an 1830s European settler who had their fathers coat, or even just a nice big button jar of old buttons.

OP
OP
M

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
But I tell ya when it comes to military buttons all bets are off for what can show up where. It could have been an 1830s European settler who had their fathers coat, or even just a nice big button jar of old buttons.
[/quote]

Yes I am aware of that point. Was just replying to your statement concerning where found.

So this button seems to have details of both early and later. It has the upper design of later years but the single "rim" of earlier. So quite possibly it falls in between somewhere.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark S. said:

Yes I am aware of that point. Was just replying to your statement concerning where found.

So this button seems to have details of both early and later. It has the upper design of later years but the single "rim" of earlier. So quite possibly it falls in between somewhere.
[/quote]

It's definitely old, I just don't think quite old enough to be Rev War period. Just the fact it does not match the book tends to point at it being later.

Major William Brown

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2011
Looks like a Napoleonic era French button. It's 100% positively a French regimental numbered Infantry regiment button, but the shank appears more early 1800s. It is definitely pre 1830s since I've got some French buttons from that era too. I have some French buttons dug near Yorktown and their shanks are different from this one, so I'd hazard this one is from the first decade or two around 1800.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread