What's new

What Got You Started??

gtlfindings

Full Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
180
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
ny
Detector(s) used
TESORO DeLeon
Heres a Question: What Got You Started with Treasure Hunting,MDing,CRH or anything this fine forum discusses....
For me it was the movie The GOONIES!!! I remember wanting to go out and find treasure in my yard dreaming of finding the secret tunnel or something...Never thought of doing the metal detecting or CRH until recently....I guess getting older and looking for new hobbies other than Wine and Women..Just kidding!!! I figured having a hobby that could be productive and Fun at the same time would be neat....This year I will definitely get out to MD (only been out twice) and CRH...Met cool people here and read things that really stoked the fire!!
Thanks to all who post here in advance.
Gerald
gtlfindings@gmail.com

CHHHUUUNNNNKKKKK!!!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • goonies_sloth.webp
    goonies_sloth.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 257
goonies and other movies and when i was younger there used to be a old amusement park in my town that was in business from 1880 -1964 alot of people have mded it but thr technology is better and we can go deeper and with more clarity and as they say on here it is never hunted out a freeze then a thaw brings deep item closer to the surface and my town was started during the fur trade period
 
Very cool story!! It's reading things like that ,Make you want to get out and dig!!...Now if I could just decide on a new detector...So many opinions here..........N e e d. . . . .t o.....d i g....... :angry9:
Gerald
 
Grew up on a 200 year old property with an old dump on it. Spent summers at one of two other old family properties that also had old dumps on them. As far back as I can remember I was digging those dumps looking for my buried treasure. Got into coin collecting around ten and metal detecting was just a few years away. I was recently bitten by the treasure hunting bug after basically being away from it for about twenty years. My latest interest actually stemmed from a family tragedy, which is very unfortunate, but I don't think I'll stray away from the hobby/obsession again. Oh yeah, The Goonies is an awesome movie. :thumbsup:
 
Well, since I'm a big fan of old things and history I was lured into it one day after seeing what my friend was finding. I love not knowing what you are going to dig up. I enjoy looking for old places and trying to imagine in my mind what it may have been like 175 years ago, or older :icon_sunny:
 
I got intest in MD about 25 years ago. Saw a guy out detecting at the fair grounds and he was finding coin. Though that was a great idea. So I bought my first bounty hunter 840.....Matt
 
I got started when I found 2 ~ AA batteries in a drawer and wondered how I could best put them to use. :coffee2:

Its all history from there.
 
I was exploring, digging, and carting home junk as soon as I hit the ground. (Back then, my mom called it "prowling"! :D)

Did a lot of fossil hunting as a kid, but really anything was grist for the mill: arrowheads, marbles, bottles, old books... whatever.

When I was about 8 my dad gave me a Delta lantern, and I went through cases of batteries, happily crawling around under houses and finding all sorts of neat stuff. (Well, I thought it was neat anyway!)

My brother-in-law started detecting in the late 60's, and after he let me have a go at his Coinmaster IV, I was hopelessly addicted. My own first real detector was a 66-TR. I think that was around 1970-72.
 
I've had an interest in history and so-called lost artifacts since I can remember. I officially just started MD'ing last year after purchasing a Tesoro Umax and some accessories. I remember my grandfather taking us kids MD'ing when we were little, mostly to old abandoned farmsteads and swimming holes from when he was growing up. He was a 'master tinkerer' of sorts and had his own woodshop and rockshop in his basement. Made quite a bit of jewelry from finding Montana Agates, cutting, polishing, etc. He always said there's a world of discovery right beneath our feet, and I think all of us would agree. So, to answer the question of what got me started.....well.....I guess it's just in my blood.

Happy Hunting all,

DB
 
My wife has always been interested in arrow head hunting and exploring old caves etc. I flew and raced homing pigeons. After the kids were gone on there own and politics got too bad in pigeon flying, I was doing a lot of just sitting around. She found out about a local metal detecting club and dragged me to the meeting. We went to get her a metal detector, she was gonna detect and I was gonna dig. Sweet deal for her. While we were at the Whites dealer she talked me into also getting a detector. Well the rest is history. I go hooked real bad, real quick. In fact now I'm the one who is constantly going tecting. I love the adventure of finding something that was lost or disgarded. It' like an itch I can't scratch. She never got the bug like me but we still enjoy going together and seeing what we can find. :thumbsup:
 
I love finding relics older than me! :wink: Actually, my dad had a single tone radio shack detector he used to find nails in studs and I got it out in the yard and found all kinds of junque. Skip ahead 50 years and I retired and needed something to get me out of the house and get some exercise. I thought of metal detecting and bought a cheap detector and fell in love with the hobby. It is still a hobby to me but I have found a few nice rings and interesting old things and I am in love with history, especially local history and Civil War. I also enjoy club hunts and attend 3 or 4 every year. They are just for fun and I have won a few nice prizes and met lots of new friends that way. Monty
 
Always been digging or scratching in some way.

Metal detector was just another tool at first,
help me find some buried dumps.

Now, I use the detector more and more.

It's a hobby, nothing more..................
NO GOALS.......Just relax and enjoy. ;D

have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE
 
C'mon newbies, fess up I've heard this Goonies thing before!
Saw an old timer with a md after the 4th of July party at the park about '71 or '72. Me and a bud got curious, followed him a bit, then walked in front of him eyeballing coin spills. Would go "creek walking" picking the old bottles from the creek bed to trade for goodies with the local old bottle collector. Went snorkeling at the gravel pits, found that dollar bills were plentiful at the bottom in the midst of the algae about that period also. Found out the spot I stood on in the middle of the pit where I got oriented happened to have a Fed Reserve strong box under it when the bad guys dug it out one day before I got there. Open box and emptied bags all over under the water there. Must have stood on that box for almost two years and never thought about why that ground was built up to where I could stand up with my head above water. Still trying to make up for that.

Found old goodies rehabbing houses while doing that work a little later. Never gave much mind to what I didn't see (the buried goods) until around 20 years ago, so I fot a BH, then a Fisher, then another and another...
 
Wow its awesome to see all the responses so far!!! I love hearing old time stories!! Our elders are the only link we have to the past...I treasure the stories my great uncle used to tell me about ww2 and stories from my grand father and others of "How it used to be" Also when coins were made of something of value wish I lived then and know what I know now.....Thanks for all of your posts...Keep on Postin'!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • movie.webp
    movie.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 162
Heres one of my treasures......
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0080.webp
    IMG_0080.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0081.webp
    IMG_0081.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0082.webp
    IMG_0082.webp
    29 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0080.webp
    IMG_0080.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0081.webp
    IMG_0081.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0082.webp
    IMG_0082.webp
    29 KB · Views: 202
I wanted to get rich quick and retire early. At first all I found was pennies at 1/2 to 2 inches. Then I gave up trying to find treasure with a Radio Shack beeper and bought a Fisher 1220X and started finding really good finds. Did rich? No, but I did get hooked and have been enjoying this hobby for 28 years. It's not so much about the treasure anymore but more about the hunt.
 
Wow! That is one nice old pistol gtlfindings. Got a story to go with it?
 
I hate to admit it, but I come from a long line of "trash pickers"
and was introduced to the philosophy of "one mans trash is another mans treasure" at a very early age. We used to go treasure hunting at city dumps.

Then one day my Mother bought a mail order "treasure detector" in 1959 when I was 10 years old. I think it was a Telco or something like that. Anyway, Mom Dad and I went to all of the places they could think of where treasure could be hidden, old home places and the like. We even managed to find the one room school house that my Dad went to when he was little.
It was all run down and grown over but we were able to find a few things.
I can remember finding a small bell that my Dad said the teacher would ring to bring the kids in from recess. I wish I still had that thing.

Anyway since the show "Cash and Treasures" has aired, my treasure fever has gone up so high that my wife thinks I need to see a doctor. ;D

Buddy~
 
When I was a kid in East Corinth VT......... A small river called the Tabor Branch went through town and every chance I had I was fishing for rainbows and pulling bottles and other junk from the banks. I have even explored MANY swimming holes with a mask and find more stuff. Almost drown once when I found an old rifle :tongue3:

Now I just earn my name and collect it ALL ;D


VPR
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom