What's new

What Got You Started??

Very cool there is a story to the pistol I had it posted under best finds---> my best find ever....
If anyone knows how to put the forum links into posts? If I ever need to link to another story??
 
I used to walk the banks of the Mississippi river just above Donaldosnville, Louisiana, and search through all the drift and such looking for that elusive treasure when I was a kid. Found lots of things and that is still a good way to spend a day although I can't do it anymore. I will be searching the banks of the Arkansas river before to long though.

john
 
I've been into local history and historic local history pics for many years. Had talked about getting a detetor, and watched as other guys were out mding. Since I am very good at procrastinating I did nothing about it, until I had the year from hell.....
In 2005 I broke my leg when I slipped on the ice in my yard on Jan 6th. As it healed I developed a blood clot in it from ankle to thigh....
So, after spending some quality time in the hospital in April I climbed a ladder while working (own a sign shop), which since I was on blood thinners I had promised wife and doctor I wouldn't. So, when the ladder kicked out I dropped about 12 or 13 feet onto my face on asphalt, breaking many of the bones in my left hand. And bruising so many parts I didn't even know I had. In the hospital I had to have everything checked because of the blood thinners. As the surgeon was deciding how best to put Humpty's hand back together the other doc came in to let me know that I had kidney cancer. (I've had better days).
Long story short. By June I had seven pins in my hand, and a third of kidney less than I'd had before. By 4th of July the pins were gone, and I was starting to mend. So, mid-July I decided since I couldn't do many of the things I had been doing before, I ordered a metal detector from Kellyco.

First time out I found a 1902 O series Barber Dime in 15 minutes. I was so freakin' hooked it wasn't funny. I'm on my third detector, and spend far more time and energy on this hobby than I would ever have dreamed. Love every minute.

Kinda long winded, but since you asked.....

So I md, and my wife says I practice CRS more than anything else!

Good Luck All,
Mark
 
gtlfindings,
That pistol is one of the things that got me started. In 1969, when I moved to Texas, I thought about all the western movies I saw as I grew up. You know, the ones where the good guy shot the gun from the hand of the bad guy. Silly me, I just knew I could find a gun somewhere here......after all, this is Texas!! I bought a BH for about $25 and took it everywhere. Didn't really know what I was doing, but did I have some fun!!
Life caught up with me. I started college, then work. Forgot all about it until a year ago. Got the fever again.
I retired last march and now I'm starting to get back to reading and studying. Never thought about hunting coins on the playgrounds or beaches back then------but, now I'm ready.
 
This will sound a little off the wall but when I was 4 or 5 I would go to the Laundromat with my Mom and find coins by digging under the washers and dryers. Been looking for treasure ever since. :thumbsup:
 
my dad was a mechanic who worked on cars in our driveway and one day one of his customers brought his car to be worked on... he had a metal detector and used it in our yard to kill time while my dad was working on his car... he found an axe head... i thought it was interesting and started wondering what else i could find there. i needed a hobby that got me outside anyway because i spent most of my time inside. so now i have a detector...
 
When I was about 8 or 9 years old my uncle used to take me out metal detecting with him. I was with him when he found a mans diamond ring and my first find was a coin for a peep show. All the treasure movies and old stories have just added to the excitment of getting out there and finding what has been lost in time. Now I finally own my own detector and can get out any time I want. Not only is it fun never knowing what your gonna dig next it's just a relaxing way to spend your day outdoors and enjoy nature. Now of course when I was a kid I couldn't wait to find the lost city of gold which has not happened yet ( Go figure ).
 
A few years back while at work I met a man who was talking about MDing. I was curious about the hobby and often wondered about the way things were in the old days. He told me of some CW relic finds and told me he would bring a few in to work so I could see them. The next day I was totally hooked! He showed me a Union belt buckle that had been shot. The mini-ball was still lodged in the buckle. It took a direct hit dead center and the buckle was wrapped around the bullet. That was enough for me to run out and get a detector. I haven't looked back. :wink:
 
In the late 70s when i was a small boy, my mother worked a the department store Montgomery Wards. For hours after school, Id have to linger around the place until her shift ended - and in the sporting goods department, they had a small display with a looping video about the new Treasure Hunter metal detectors. A large old man with a dusty fishing hat was digging up HANDFULS OF GOLD COINS in the middle of what I guess was his backyard but looked like the Arizona desert. He demonstrated 3 models and showed how the best one had the ability to tell you if you found iron or gold.

It wasn't until the mid 80s when I was working and making my own money that I was able to buy a Tresure Hunter D-i /500 (which Im still using now) and after 6 months, saved up enough dirty coins to buy a 5000 series something or other from Whites. As far as I know that one works but its half a country away and Im trying to get it shipped back to me pronto.

There is probably some psychological mommy issue behind it, but I dunno - Im not just an avid hunter. I am COMPELLED by this recreation. Just reading this site makes my heart race. hehe.


also: The Goonies was an allegory for sex. Just thought you should know.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom