What's new

what have i got here?

unclemac

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
8,031
Reaction score
9,228
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a friend of mine found this the other day...i figure it is some sort of hafted hide scraper, what do you guys think? and those circular pits are pretty curious too...the end is damaged but I think the shape is intact. this was a PNW coast find.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01208.webp
    DSC01208.webp
    177.2 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC01209.webp
    DSC01209.webp
    131.6 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
I agree, the circular spots are fire pops so it has seen some significant heat. Does look a Tool of some type.
 
Fire pops for sure, extreme heat can also cause larger fractures like whats seen at the tip. Cool piece.
 
It is obsidian which was widely used in the region you found it. I found a partial point made of this volcanic glass along the a dirt road that runs from Midus to Tuscarora in Nevada. Here's a link on the sources black obsidian that's found in the NW Obsidian Source Maps: United States I don't know about the divots in your specimen, but many pieces of natural obsidian will have gas bubbles in it when it was formed also.
 
Last edited:
not obsidian, it is a sort of black jasper material...but the name escapes me at the moment....funny how that works...i will probably remember it in my sleep tonight.
 
Ever heard of apache tears.... Dont know the difference between that and obsidian, not much of that material in Alabama... Or that I can find anyways
 
...dacite! that's it..i knew it would come to me...
 
...dacite! that's it..i knew it would come to me...
Still looks like obsidian to me. Guess I'd need to see it first hand.
 
Kind of looks like a form of snowflake obsidian but both dacite and obsidian comes from the PNW. Maybe it is snowflake dacite? But I have never seen or heard of that.
 
no, those spots you are algae.
 
I think its upside down myself and might have a impact fracture or a broken tip
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom