What I Found Metal Detecting for the 1st Time

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started metal detecting for the 1st time today, and I found something somewhat interesting. You all may think that being happy for finding a shotgun shell casing is silly, but finding anything but trash makes me happy.
I got my 1st real metal detector yesterday, a Fisher F2. I was happy with it, and found a few coins in my yard with it that day. Today, I wanted to see how it really works, so I went to the woods behind a local Middle School, where I have heard that a civil war camp was located. My luck of course though, was that the place also served as an illegal dumping ground. I was only there for about an hour, spending most of it digging false signals and beer cans. Then, towards the end, I decided to go deeper in the woods, where I detected a REM-UMC No. 12 Shurshot shotgun shell casing, under 6 inches of dirt. Does anyone know anything about it? There was no plastic casing, so does that mean it's old, when they used paper instead of plastic?

Upvote 0

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sterling in Va said:
There was no plastic casing, so does that mean it's old, when they used paper instead of plastic?

More than likely.

They don't hold much value to me except for the fact that it's history.

I was detecting a torn out street in the middle of Hammond, In, last summer when I found one. I was amazed, pondering someone discharging a shotgun on this now busy, urban street! :idea1:

OP
OP
S

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, the one I found was right next to a 6 lane road. I think the road was probably 2 lanes back in the 20's and 30's though. Still a neat find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions