badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I found this weekend and how do I tell if it's real

ringx.jpg I was checking out MY home site and was finding a few pennies and dimes when I got a solid hit, which I knew was silver. I had my AT PRO in Pro zero mode with Iron Audio sound on I could hear Iron too. Since my ping tone was so strong I decided to dig, and dig I did about a foot down I found an old nail I mean turn of the century old. Placing the Pro Pointer in the hole I still had something in there which I knew had to be silver since the reading and sound on the AT Pro indicated it was. I dug and dug and no more sound. My Pro Pointer has been acting up and I thought I had a problem with it because I didn't see a thing when I was placing the dirt on my towel. Upon scanning my dirt with the pro pointer there it was, covered in dirt from what was clearly years underground, an old Silver ring, and I mean old, and with what looks to be a big diamond in it. But from all those years in the ground the stone has a film on it and I don't want to damage it. I tried cleaning it but the stone still has a dull coating on it. The Silver cleaned up well, how do I clean the stone and how do I tell if it is real? I have lived here for nearly fifty years and never lost any rings, and I never brought any fill into that area so I know it isn't mine, or nobody threw it out a car window; it was too deep.

On the band it clearly is written Sterling and in front of it there is a mark similar to this <-U-< it looks like an arrow but my eyes aren't that good so I am really taking a guess. This find was down really deep, with an old nail, and I mean old nail sitting above it. The AT Pro gave me both signals and because the ping was so distinct that was what convinced me to dig. And I am glad I did, just to see this piece from the past has me wondering about its story. It is very pretty in person and looks like it was buried for a very long time.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post a pic if you can, that will help getting advice. Have you checked the band inside for markings? If its not marked I side that diminishes the likelihood the stone is valuable, but there is still that possibility. A jeweler coulf tell you.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being silver and having lost it's luster I'm thinking you have some cut glass rather then a diamond. Like SusanMN said, take it to a jeweler to be sure.
ZDD

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
WELCOME TO T-NET, YOU'RE GONNA ENJOY THIS SITE! Definitely have a jeweler check your stone, as rings may not have markings indicating what type of stone! We'd love to see a pic of your nice old ring! OK to just put it on your scanner if you don't want to take photos. Have fun & let us know what else you find in your yard! Andi

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can post tonight; I am watching my grandson now at his house. There is a silver marking inside the band, that I know, sterling is spelled out.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A jeweler can also steam clean the ring. That hopefully will get rid of the film on the stone. Congratulations. :diamond-ring:

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pics should be mandatory for threads made in "todays finds". just sayin.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirtwizard my apologies to you and the rest of the board, but I was on the road before 6 AM and I just got home and took a quick photo and posted it. And yes, you are right, I should have posted the image but I am very excited about this find; I love a story and I wish I knew this one.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether the stone turns out to be real or glass, the ring is a beautiful piece of old silver. Great find.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It really is pretty,I love that old style.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a simple trick to give an idea about a diamond. (and if I am wrong, I'm sure someone will point it out to me. LOL)

It was pointed out to me that one cannot read through a diamond. In other words, if the diamond is laying on a newspaper, you shouldn't be able to read any letters through it. Best bet? Ask a trusted jeweler.

Nice!
HH!

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice ring! And considering how deep it was, it's in great shape! Makes me wonder how long it must have been down there. Congrats and HH!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no need to apologize, I can see now why you were excited! I would love to dig that up. Congrats I hope the stone is real!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's a good looking ring, I hope the stone is diamond. Congrats and Happy hunting!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know much about how stones are cut...but that definitely does not look like a modern cut. I really would not be surprised if that ring is a 100+ years old.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Badpenny,
Thats a nice ring.
One thing that sticks out about the stone is the cut.
Early costume stones that were made of glass had that type of "cut" to the ring.
If you look with a loop, if this is not real, you will notice the edges are rounded and slightly polished instead of sharp.
Also, with a real diamond round brilliant cut, the table (top of the stone) will be large and focus to a point underneath.
If you notice this piece, the table is smaller and it focuses to a larger stone under it. This is the typical shape of
the glass costume stones from earlier days.
For your sake, I hope it is a real stone and dont mean to say it is not. I am just pointing out what I have noticed over the years finding these types of rings.
Also, the last thing is, it is rare that diamonds are put into silver, but occasionally it does happen. I think I may have found one ring like that in 20 yrs of hunting.
Best of luck to you! Hope its a real one.
A jeweler will have a diamond tester and can test it for you in a few seconds.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice:icon_thumright: Congratulations:thumbsup:

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread