What is a fair asking price for dug up silver coins?

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melt value is $23.83 an ounce so you could weigh them up, but you can add an additional percentage of your choice. But it also depends on the % of silver in them wether 90%, 40% or 35% nickels or just do it as a complete lot. I sell mine at the coin store and they give 85% of melt I am O.K. with that but you can shop around to see who gives the best rate.

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melt value is $23.83 an ounce so you could weigh them up, but you can add an additional percentage of your choice. But it also depends on the % of silver in them wether 90%, 40% or 35% nickels or just do it as a complete lot. I sell mine at the coin store and they give 85% of melt I am O.K. with that but you can shop around to see who gives the best rate.
Thanks for the input.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
of course it all depends on condition and date. Look at EBAY if you plan to sell them one at a time, go to advanced, plug in your denomination and date and then click "sold listings". That will give you an idea on each one. There is a lot of cruddy stuff being bought every day on EBAY.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
please dont melt them. they are gone forever. maybe sell on ebay in lots of 25 to 50

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
You can go to Coinflation.com and find out the value of the silver today. The problem with selling on ebay is the 12% to 15% seller's fee, which means you'll have to get about 20% above the silver value for it to make any sense. You are better off selling to a local silver stacker at Coinflation.com price. Typically the sell for a bit more, so melt value would be a good buy, and a good sell.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
please dont melt them. they are gone forever. maybe sell on ebay in lots of 25 to 50
Not too how much 90% junk silver is melted nowadays, wouldn’t seem cost effective at all due to the raw high premiums already commanded by 90%, vs refining costs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread