What is an 1852 Trime doing all the way up here??

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy did it feel good to get out this weekend after a nearly 4 month hiatus. The ground was still frozen in some places yesterday, but today Spring truly arrived and I was out in a tshirt.

Tried to hit about a half dozen places that are tough to get to once things start growing. Found a few promising sites, and a couple nice bits of history.

The best chapter involved taking the dog and my new beater 4x4 out a ways and then hiking to the top of a mountain for a long-lost French and Indian War battle site. No luck on the dream site, however in the middle of absolutely nowhere I found this trime. Up to that point it had been hours of infrequent signals, and those were nothing but old brass and shotgun shells. This sounded only a little different, and at that point I was tempted to pass on it. I wish I had a picture of the expression on my face when I realized what it was. My best guess is that it would have been a heck of a view back then, with all the trees cleared. This hobby is just too funny sometimes. Maybe next time I'll head up there thinking "trime" and find the Big History I was searching for.

What I'm assuming is a bridle rosette cleaned up nicely with a little aluminum jelly. I don't feel confident about date for the buckle. This one seems to have characteristics from periods 100 years apart, and was near a site that dates to the earliest part of my town but is also close to some recent activity (from Colonial or Coors cans, with the latter more likely). I welcome your thoughts.

Hope all my other frozen friends are coming out of hibernation. Looking forward to the year!

Attachments

• DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    686.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    876.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0076.JPG
    959 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    525.1 KB · Views: 130
  • trime.jpg
    trime.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 148
  • truck n' dog.jpg
    truck n' dog.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    782.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    758.7 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 34
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I missed the entire point of the story. :laughing7: My apologies. I read the title and came into the post thinking you might be in Canada, or something, but your location info isn't very specific. It's been a long day. Great finds!

Well, that's the internet for us! It hadn't even occurred to me to interpret my title as being about latitude instead of altitude! Hope you didn't mind my tongue in cheek reply. That's called "humor" in Vermont.
Peace-Ken

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an exquisite silver trime, that baby is sharp! Nice pooch too. I really want to get a dog-preferably a Lab- but my wife says I can't get one until I retire haha.

Thanks J.Cache. It is a nice coin, but soooo darn tiny!

I hope your retirement comes sooner rather than later, or your wife has a change of heart. Dogs are good for the soul, and our family finds that Labs in particular seem to be the Universe's way of making up for some of the tough business of living. Go get one! : )

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks J.Cache. It is a nice coin, but soooo darn tiny!

I hope your retirement comes sooner rather than later, or your wife has a change of heart. Dogs are good for the soul, and our family finds that Labs in particular seem to be the Universe's way of making up for some of the tough business of living. Go get one! : )

Well we both work a lot, and I guess she's right because WHEN I do get a dog I want to be able to dedicate the time a dog needs. Plus she says I'm in charge of picking up all the poop in the yard lol

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the bucket lister!! It's still on my list.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome trime! Good job

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve! Here's to hoping more Spanish for both of us this summer.

The reverse is concave and I don't see a clear shank point, but I totally welcome your opinion. Likewise on the buckle, which says late 1800s to me but is so crude I almost wonder if it is far earlier. Thanks, Cru. Glad to see your fall didn't get in the way of continued operation awesomeness.

View attachment 1437910 View attachment 1437911 View attachment 1437908 View attachment 1437909

Well, shoot. Thought I painted a good enough picture. I can give you the last 4 digits of each GPS coordinate (xx.xx5855, xx.xx1946). Or I can give you Irish directions, which also seem to work in New England: "By the place where the old barn used to be, but before the cemetery entrance, take a left. Go over the big hill till you think you're lost or maybe a little crazy, and then keep going till you get to a marsh and park. Walk through the marsh until you can't anymore because of brambles, then figure out how you can go a little farther, because your dog will show you. Then go straight up that mountain that rises out of the marsh for the better part of an hour, until you can see almost the whole county." That's where I found the trime.

You can see the scar of the shank, so it is a Dandy, plus seen very similar ones.

I agree there is a chance the buckle could be earlier, but this style can not be pinned down to any one period. ie. stayed the same for hundreds of years.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and story! Yes the change of season is welcome here in Vermont. You really are our neighbor, it is such a small world I think I have met/talked to you at a mutual friends bat mitzvah and our kids go to the same School together.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the trime, and from the looks of the picture, a great hunting partner.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can see the scar of the shank, so it is a Dandy, plus seen very similar ones.

I agree there is a chance the buckle could be earlier, but this style can not be pinned down to any one period. ie. stayed the same for hundreds of years.

Very interesting. Thanks as always, Crusader.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff. And the answer to your original question was, it was sitting in the dirt waiting for you.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well we both work a lot, and I guess she's right because WHEN I do get a dog I want to be able to dedicate the time a dog needs. Plus she says I'm in charge of picking up all the poop in the yard lol

Much respect to being so thoughtful...we used to do some fostering for dogs who were neglected. That will be a lucky dog when the time is right. Cheers

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some sweet finds and a great day out swinging! :occasion14:
Good way to start the season.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used