What is an 1852 Trime doing all the way up here??

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy did it feel good to get out this weekend after a nearly 4 month hiatus. The ground was still frozen in some places yesterday, but today Spring truly arrived and I was out in a tshirt.

Tried to hit about a half dozen places that are tough to get to once things start growing. Found a few promising sites, and a couple nice bits of history.

The best chapter involved taking the dog and my new beater 4x4 out a ways and then hiking to the top of a mountain for a long-lost French and Indian War battle site. No luck on the dream site, however in the middle of absolutely nowhere I found this trime. Up to that point it had been hours of infrequent signals, and those were nothing but old brass and shotgun shells. This sounded only a little different, and at that point I was tempted to pass on it. I wish I had a picture of the expression on my face when I realized what it was. My best guess is that it would have been a heck of a view back then, with all the trees cleared. This hobby is just too funny sometimes. Maybe next time I'll head up there thinking "trime" and find the Big History I was searching for.

What I'm assuming is a bridle rosette cleaned up nicely with a little aluminum jelly. I don't feel confident about date for the buckle. This one seems to have characteristics from periods 100 years apart, and was near a site that dates to the earliest part of my town but is also close to some recent activity (from Colonial or Coors cans, with the latter more likely). I welcome your thoughts.

Hope all my other frozen friends are coming out of hibernation. Looking forward to the year!

Attachments

• DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    686.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    876.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0076.JPG
    959 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    525.1 KB · Views: 130
  • trime.jpg
    trime.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 148
  • truck n' dog.jpg
    truck n' dog.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    782.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    758.7 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 34

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice buckle, even nicer Trime, but that "truck 'n dog" takes the cake! Your pup looks happy and right at home. I'm glad to see you're out bud and scoring big.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great way to spend the day Ken! You're hunting buddy looks super happy to be along for the adventure. That trime is in incredible condition and the rosette cleaned up awesome. Glad you're finally out hunting and looking forward to your posts.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been awhile since I had an eye popping find like a trime. As I have stated in other trime recovery posts I found my only trime working a curb construction sight where the trime was laying on the surface with just a bit of dust covering it up. I almost feel guilty of cheating finding it under these circumstances. :nono: I guess it just goes to show we really never know what the day may hold when we head out in search of treasure. Who knows, we just might find some? Great recovery on the trime and other cool finds.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice buckle, even nicer Trime, but that "truck 'n dog" takes the cake! Your pup looks happy and right at home. I'm glad to see you're out bud and scoring big.

Thanks Steve! And I couldn't agree with you more. She's the best dog ever (don't tell our other one I said that).

Now all I need is a Deus...:laughing7:

Sounds like a great way to spend the day Ken! You're hunting buddy looks super happy to be along for the adventure. That trime is in incredible condition and the rosette cleaned up awesome. Glad you're finally out hunting and looking forward to your posts.

Thank you, Brad. Such a joy to bounding through the forest again rather than trudging with snowshoes. Hope it is a great year for you, too.

Been awhile since I had an eye popping find like a trime. As I have stated in other trime recovery posts I found my only trime working a curb construction sight where the trime was laying on the surface with just a bit of dust covering it up. I almost feel guilty of cheating finding it under these circumstances. :nono: I guess it just goes to show we really never know what the day may hold when we head out in search of treasure. Who knows, we just might find some? Great recovery on the trime and other cool finds.

Well said. We truly never know...something that can be maddening or delightful depending on the day. But don't worry, I'm sure you earned your sidewalk trime with 1,000 pull tabs; the MD Gods keep track of these things, you know. :tongue3:

another '52 club member--- welcome aboard

Thanks PEA, happy to join the club! I never thought about finding one of these, though I've always appreciated them for their beautiful and unusual design.

tn_outstanding.gif
Nice finds Z.K. especially that truck! :laughing7:

Oh yeah! I had no idea I had a latent "truck gene" in me. Got this for practical reasons and the first time rolling in it, dog by my side, I was suddenly like, "Ok, NOW I get it!"

Congrats on the trime and other nice finds

Thanks as always, Art!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!! Awesome Trime, one of my favorite coins, congrats and HH

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Ken! Congratulations!
That 4x4 looks very good. And your dog sure looks happy in it.
Awesome start of the season!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!! Awesome Trime, one of my favorite coins, congrats and HH

Thanks very much, DD!

Great finds Ken! Congratulations!
That 4x4 looks very good. And your dog sure looks happy in it.
Awesome start of the season!

Really appreciate it, Anton. I can't wait to see what your adventures unearth in the months to come!

Cool trime, cooler dog,, lol
Congratulations

Totally! She's super dog...wouldn't trade her for a bazillion trimes. Thanks Doc.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ended up with a few goodies. Love that Rosette! The trime is a neat find too.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps I could be as astounded as you are if you were to give your location as something that's actually definitive...:dontknow:

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You ended up with a few goodies. Love that Rosette! The trime is a neat find too.

Thanks Steve! Here's to hoping more Spanish for both of us this summer.

Pretty sure thats a Dandy Button.

The reverse is concave and I don't see a clear shank point, but I totally welcome your opinion. Likewise on the buckle, which says late 1800s to me but is so crude I almost wonder if it is far earlier. Thanks, Cru. Glad to see your fall didn't get in the way of continued operation awesomeness.

rosette reverse 1.JPG rosette reverse 2.JPG buckle 1.JPG buckle 2.JPG

Perhaps I could be as astounded as you are if you were to give your location as something that's actually definitive...:dontknow:

Well, shoot. Thought I painted a good enough picture. I can give you the last 4 digits of each GPS coordinate (xx.xx5855, xx.xx1946). Or I can give you Irish directions, which also seem to work in New England: "By the place where the old barn used to be, but before the cemetery entrance, take a left. Go over the big hill till you think you're lost or maybe a little crazy, and then keep going till you get to a marsh and park. Walk through the marsh until you can't anymore because of brambles, then figure out how you can go a little farther, because your dog will show you. Then go straight up that mountain that rises out of the marsh for the better part of an hour, until you can see almost the whole county." That's where I found the trime.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I missed the entire point of the story. :laughing7: My apologies. I read the title and came into the post thinking you might be in Canada, or something, but your location info isn't very specific. It's been a long day. Great finds!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an exquisite silver trime, that baby is sharp! Nice pooch too. I really want to get a dog-preferably a Lab- but my wife says I can't get one until I retire haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread