Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check out the What Is It forum nearly every day because I learn a lot about items I am not familiar with. But even though the moderators have a post to tell what is needed to get an item identified very few seem to pay any attention to it. It gets tiresome trying to figure out what something is just by looking at a bad photo of one view of the object. You should photograph it side to side, front to back, top to bottom and put something in for size reference. Also a hint as to what kind of area it was found in would be helpful. Found at the seashore or out in the middle of a farmers field makes a lot of difference as to what it might be! And bullets, bless your hearts. please make at least a rough measurement as to the diameter and weight. Just a couple of millimeters or a couple of grains of weight can make a world of difference. Bullets are my thing and I see so many with hardly any information. And if it was found at the site of an old battle field or just out in the woods makes a lot of difference. Location could eliminate about a thousand possibilities. Please read and heed if you want a quick ID of your mysterious finds. Monty

Moderators feel free to move this if you find a better place for it.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Monty said:
But even though the moderators have a post to tell what is needed to get an item identified very few seem to pay any attention to it.

(Sigh.)

Too true, Monty. Thanks for the reminder! :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Monty said:
It gets tiresome trying to figure out what something is just by looking at a bad photo of one view of the object. You should photograph it side to side, front to back, top to bottom and put something in for size reference. Also a hint as to what kind of area it was found in would be helpful.

This shouldn't even have to be stated, it's seems just common sense. Something that isn't so common I guess.

My favorites are the enormous, but blurry pictures.

S

stefen

And to complicate ID's, almost daily someone will post a picture of a rusted lump that looks like a Fido deposit and request an ID...its as if everyone has x-ray vision...and as Monty recommends, there are no accompanying info :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread