What's new

What is it??

MOGARDE

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2017
Messages
61
Reaction score
112
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HI everyone!

We were walking an area of the MO river where we have previously found points and found this piece. We think it is a Limace wood working tool?

We would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on it. Thanks so much!!
 

Attachments

  • 22046964_10155891878478243_4681895384205654657_n.webp
    22046964_10155891878478243_4681895384205654657_n.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 22046964_10155891878878243_8662291877113249710_n.webp
    22046964_10155891878878243_8662291877113249710_n.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 22089843_10155891879438243_8059664770894375800_n.webp
    22089843_10155891879438243_8059664770894375800_n.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 22090081_10155891878848243_561896056735787471_n.webp
    22090081_10155891878848243_561896056735787471_n.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 22221590_10155891879433243_3703472438558935380_n.webp
    22221590_10155891879433243_3703472438558935380_n.webp
    32 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0
Interesting looking I wonder if it could have been a knife that they started and abandon for some reason.
 
Looks to be a blade core and I say that due to I dont see any secondary flaking on the edges. I could be wrong lets see what others say. Its a nice one
 
I thought it was something that wasn't just natural but I just wasn't sure....I'm new to this. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!
 
I thought it was something that wasn't just natural but I just wasn't sure....I'm new to this. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Its not natural
 
Thank you!! I'm thrilled to hear that!
 
I'll second what ROCK said. Looks like they were able to strike some nice long flakes off that core.
 
It is an artifact, looks like jasper and I concur with blade core. The big flakes were knocked off it to make points.
 
Looks like an "adze" to me (your 2nd picture). Long percussion flakes removed were common for some cultures that made adze's.
Here are pictures of a few of the adzes I've found, does the side picture profile fit with your piece? If so it's probably an adze. They were used for hacking out dugout canoes after they had been burned where crafting was necessary, they had other uses as well.
 
While these are not the best of pictures, I hope you can still see the beveling on the bit end of the adze, it's the textbook shape of an adze bit.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507003152.648242.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507003174.683094.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507003196.200784.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507003216.078962.webp
 
Had no idea it was Jasper. It has a cool pinkish tone to it! Thank so much for the info!
 
Had no idea it was Jasper. It has a cool pinkish tone to it! Thank so much for the info!

If it was heat treated it would of changed colors. By heat treating the stone not only does it change usually to a better color but it makes the stone easier to work.
 
Thank you for the information! I'm learning a lot! Much appreciated!
 
You did good...it’s a beautiful artifact!
 
Thank you so much!! We were proud to find it!
 
Don't believe it to be an Adze.The bit end seems to pointed...If it is it would be a first for me...mjm
 
Maybe a source for striking off bladelets?
 
Its probably just a start for you. Wait till you find your 1st point then its game on.
 
yep. blade core..a very nice textbook example too.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom