What's new

What is it

jtw1313

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
2,099
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4380.webp
    IMG_4380.webp
    253.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4381.webp
    IMG_4381.webp
    245.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4382.webp
    IMG_4382.webp
    489.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4383.webp
    IMG_4383.webp
    451.5 KB · Views: 124
lol come on don't judge
 
Upvote 0
1st thought is Native American, but it doesn't look pre-Columbian. What region did you find it in? Buried, or above ground? Relics like that are actually a little easier to date if there's a chip in them. When a bit of the interior is exposed you can tell if they're solid fired clay (usually genuine), or clay coated sandstone, then fired (usually a replica).
 
Upvote 0
Real ugly but in actuality I have never seen anything quite like it.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like it is chipped

Here on top of headdress thing......found it in Ohio not buried
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4393.webp
    IMG_4393.webp
    99.6 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
It's an Indian Effigy of some sorts...what area in Ohio was it found?
 
Upvote 0
Near Cleveland area
 
Upvote 0
It's an Indian Effigy of some sorts...what area in Ohio was it found?

The Adena and Hopewell were very prominent in the Ohio Valley area, I'm originally from North Eastern KY and have found several pieces of figures while arrowhead hunting in private fields, but never an intact piece as what you have. I would consult a a historical foundation, if it was a field find on private property, if this was found on state property, it would be best to re-place the artifact and take a picture and notify the archaeological society. It is against the law to remove any artifact from state property.
 
Upvote 0
Not found anywhere like that......I have proof where I got it
 
Upvote 0
Very nice piece. I've seen effigies that came from field finds.
This one looks very angry/serious.
 
Upvote 0
Name: Mesingw
Tribal affiliation: Lenape, Munsee, Shawnee (some communities)
Alternate spellings: Misingw, Msingw, Mësingw, Msiingw, Mising, Mesing, Mee Sing, Misink, Mesingwe, Msingwe, Misingwa, Masing, Mesingk, Messingq, Misi'ngwe, Mesingwe, Mizi'nk, Misink, Misignwa
Pronunciation: similar to muh-seeng but with a rounded final consonant.
Also known as: Mask Spirit, Masked Being, Spirit Face, Living Solid Face, Master of Game. Mesingholikan (also spelled Mësingholikan, Misinkhalikan, Misinghalikun, Misinkhâlikàn, Misinghali'kun, Mizinkhali'kun, Wsinkhoalican, and other ways) was the name of a Lenape ritual dancer who channeled the role of Mesingw for hunting and curing ceremonies.
Type: Mask, dream spirit, hunting god

Mesingw is the Lenape Mask Spirit, a powerful, sacred medicine spirit who maintains the balance of nature, appears to Lenape men in dreams, and is the focus of certain traditional Lenape religious rituals. Some people (especially non-Natives) have begun associating Mesingw with Bigfoot recently, but this is not a traditional view-- many Native American tribes do indeed have sasquatch/hairy man legends but the Lenape Mask Spirit is not one of them. Mising is usually depicted as a supernatural face with one half colored red and the other half colored black. Mising is the protector of all animals of the forest, but is most strongly associated with deer. Some Lenape people describe Mising as taking humanoid form and riding through the woods on the back of a deer, helping respectful hunters and punishing those who despoil the forest.
Native American Language Net: Preserving and promoting indigenous American Indian languages
I believe this is a little people spirit figure. If you are not a card holding Native American I recommend turning the figure over to the Smithsonian Institution.

www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Shawnee_Indians
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sort of has an Aztec way about it. In Mexico they would say feo.

Aztec.webp
 
Upvote 0
Well I actually am Native American and associated with the trail of tears
 
Upvote 0
I believe this is a little people spirit figure. If you are not a card holding Native American I recommend turning the figure over to the Smithsonian Institution.

Shawnee Indians - Ohio History Central

Only Indians can own Indian artifacts? Cultural appropriation? Then the Indians should all turn in their Chevy pickups and horses too. Cultural appropriation is BS and we all know it. Gary
 
Upvote 0
Only Indians can own Indian artifacts? Cultural appropriation? Then the Indians should all turn in their Chevy pickups and horses too. Cultural appropriation is BS and we all know it. Gary

In my opinion, any cultural artifacts that have been looted, stolen or acquired by a means that is in any way illegal should be ethically returned to their rightful owners.

As a metal detectorist, we make eyeball finds such as arrow heads, hide scrapers and other Indigenous cultural finds in the fields. I don't believe these types of finds need to be 'returned', but if you choose to 'donate' your find back that's very different.

Dave
 
Upvote 0
JTW, it is one of a set of three. I have a set of all three, and will
take a couple pics later today.

Wife and I have always referred to them as "Polynesian Sex Gods"..:laughing7:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is it?
Replies
24
Views
2K
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is it?
Replies
5
Views
491

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom