What's new

✅ SOLVED What is it?

njrelicgairl

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
538
Reaction score
1,102
Golden Thread
0
Location
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi
I found this item last week at a 1800's school site. It has very little writing on it. Mustly letters. And is the same size as a Quarter.
Its gray and looks to be folded.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3879[1].webp
    IMG_3879[1].webp
    658.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3880[1].webp
    IMG_3880[1].webp
    957.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3881[1].webp
    IMG_3881[1].webp
    627.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hi
I found this item last week at a 1800's school site. It has very little writing on it. Mustly letters. And is the same size as a Quarter.
Its gray and looks to be folded.
Seal matrix fragment?
 
Upvote 4
It could also be a power box or gas meter seal, lead seals are still in use today.
They've been is use since at least the 1600's, but I agree with you that this one looks like a more modern one, based on the type of lettering in the second pic.
 
Upvote 7
I noticed several people gave you advice and an ID.it would be a nice gesture of appreciation if you,d leave them a like for their trouble!
Give it a few day's before this ridiculous comment.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 3
Hi
I found this item last week at a 1800's school site. It has very little writing on it. Mustly letters. And is the same size as a Quarter.
Its gray and looks to be folded.
Thank you njrelicgirl.you,re a winner!:notworthy:
 
Upvote 4
its is a cool idem fo sure. it has leters and wriding of some kine. it look is like its is a peace of led. maybee from an old toster oven from 1856 or so.
 
Upvote 2
I was wondering how old it was.
Without IDing the maker it would be hard to pin down a date. I would place it either side of 1900. (not more than 150 years old)
 
Upvote 4
Hi
I found this item last week at a 1800's school site. It has very little writing on it. Mustly letters. And is the same size as a Quarter.
Its gray and looks to be folded.
Well done on the seal, always a fun recovery.

Trying to make out lettering on the second photo.so I rotated 90 degrees.(Neck was cramping up)
I'm going to say this isn't old, post 1900 as a few reasons for my thoughts.

Being that it's the colour of lead (grey) it seems that it hasn't gotten the white lime look of old buried lead.
(Wet soils will prevent this from happening)

The word "SEAL" kind of says it's not that old. (back in the day probably everyone knew what a lead seal looked like.)
There's small lettering along the top edge, but can't read them.
Can't really make out the letters above the "SEAL" Just the letter 'T"
For the bottom letters "URNS" = TURNS?
"IGN"
"E"
I don't believe it's a R/R box car seal as they are heavily stamped it seams.
I'm going to go with a meter seal of some sorts.
A pencil rubbing through paper might bring out the lettering better

IMG_3880[1].webp
 
Upvote 4
Well done on the seal, always a fun recovery.

Trying to make out lettering on the second photo.so I rotated 90 degrees.(Neck was cramping up)
I'm going to say this isn't old, post 1900 as a few reasons for my thoughts.

Being that it's the colour of lead (grey) it seems that it hasn't gotten the white lime look of old buried lead.
(Wet soils will prevent this from happening)

The word "SEAL" kind of says it's not that old. (back in the day probably everyone knew what a lead seal looked like.)
There's small lettering along the top edge, but can't read them.
Can't really make out the letters above the "SEAL" Just the letter 'T"
For the bottom letters "URNS" = TURNS?
"IGN"
"E"
I don't believe it's a R/R box car seal as they are heavily stamped it seams.
I'm going to go with a meter seal of some sorts.
A pencil rubbing through paper might bring out the lettering better

View attachment 2030489
I didn't think about using paper. But will give it try.
 
Upvote 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom