What is the best metal detector for hunting underwater???

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi everyone I was wondering what are the top 3 underwater metal detectors on the market? I have a Surfmaster PI and it works pretty good but sucks when there is black sand!! I was wondering because I am looking in to purchasing another metal detector. Everyone is raving about the Minelab excalibur, why? Is it that much difference from all the other metal detectors? I don't use discrimination when I hunt a beach because I'd rather dig everything up especially when I am underwater! I would love to hear your comments! ;D

Upvote 0

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bro I am a excal rookie Ive had mine about a month and mabey 50 or 70 hours. I like the machine and I have found 7 rings no gold mostly silver but that's here nor their I am still along way from knowing the tones that's a challange for me and their not as simple as high and low for me another problem I have is hunting nail rich areas I mean alot of nails I am not able to hunt those areas The detector doesen't come back from nulling.Ive dove with it 3 times and its beautiful under water I really felt like I was treasuring hunting. I was on the river yesterday and digging pelts for a pelt gun That's small.When I move the coil slowly and I know theirs 17 frequencys working for me and I am picking stuff up thats down their aways.It feals good I like the excal a lot.That's my two cents from a rookie with a lot to learn
Any input hunting under iron I sure would dig it thanks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say a lot of nails just how many is a lot? Are they like someone empty a box of nails in a small circle or a nail every foot or two?

When you get a null are you sweeping from alternate directions to check target,the beauty if the excal is most times it will see gold with iron if it is there but you have to sweep the null from different directions, not just one direction.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used VLF and PI machines. Never found more gold than since I bought an Excal. There is no such thing as having too much time at any beach, so having depth, sensitivity and the ability to ignore iron is a winner in my book.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had to dig a hole over 24 inches deep to recover a long lost valuable nail or tiny piece of crab trap either...LOL

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say a lot of nails just how many is a lot? Are they like someone empty a box of nails in a small circle or a nail every foot or two?

When you get a null are you sweeping from alternate directions to check target,the beauty if the excal is most times it will see gold with iron if it is there but you have to sweep the null from different directions, not just one direction.

Alot of nails like a beach that has had fires pit everywhere.another beach that has a fence under ground for erosion control and third mabey a old home site or corral/ square nails visible.when you say different directions do you mean turn to a 90 or ? I have stoped let the threshold return and soon as I move the coil it nulls.Thank you for your input

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread