What is the best way to approach property owners to detect?

huntinfool

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2005
Hello I have been detecting now for the past 5 years off and on. My 2 best finds are and Indian head penny and a mercury dime. I use a whites spectrum xlt. I have recently got back into getting the detector out and I always find myself heading down to the local playground and collecting current change for my daughters piggy bank. Being a coin collector and the history of coins I always find myself wanting to find old coins and I am not always sure the best way to research or to approach land owners. Sometimes the hardest part is just finding out who owns an abandoned lot. Any help or ideas would be great. I live in Sumner, Washington.

Upvote 0

TOWcritter

Walk right up and knock on the door. The straight forward approach is the way to go. Explain the hobby to them and your thoughts on their property. Throw in a historical tidbit or two and go from there. If they say no then just say good day and continue on your merry way. If it's an empty lot, check online at your states real estate tax web site. It lists all property owners and the adresses. It also lists the age, price, and other goodie pertaining to the property. Good Luck... OH ....Welcome to the forum! This is the place to be if you have the metal detecting bug. Everyone here has it so you're in good company. Enjoy!

OP
OP
H

huntinfool

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2005
Thanks for the quick reply. Have you ever tried a letter explaining the hobby or is the face to face communication the best? Maybe a letter would not get a reply at all.
Thanks

OP
OP
H

huntinfool

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2005
How do I find this tax record thing on property that is not lived on? Every place I look online cost me money.
Thanks.....

jlewisk

Apr 4, 2005
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Whites MXT
Huntinfool, Go to the county courthouse, and the tax assessors office. Tell them that you need to look up a land owner but that you don't know how to this is done. There is someone there that will show you how or help you out. Try to get them to show you how there records are setup and from then on you can look up your own records.

It is usually a two or three step process and to get the landowners name ans address.

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? Depending on the owner.? ? ? ?Sometimes from behind.

? ? OOPS!!? ?Pretend you didn't see this.? ? I didn't realize Badger beat me to it.

TOWcritter

Go to your " State Department of Assessments and Taxation" At least that's where it is for Maryland, but I would assume it's the same in all states. Every piece of property has an address. Look around the property on either end for a house or business and go from there. And it's FREE. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions