I found a 1919 buffalo nickel today metal detecting, what is the best way to clean it, I can read the date when it is wet but when it dries I cannot see it, is there a way to safely bring out the details...........here is a pic
Nickels are tough. I haven't found a method I like yet. Results are too uneven for all the methods I've tried. This thread might give you some ideas, but the important thing is that you can see a date now. If you want the red gone--and are willing to substitute grey for red (but not shiny grey luster!) then I'd recommend the salt and vinegar. The baking soda step IS important at the end! But to be honest, that nickel looks about as good as it will get.
There is a post in this cleaning and preservation column about using Lime-Away on nickels--with fantastic results (a shiny coin left without any red color). I haven't tried it yet, but I will be trying it soon--first on an old Jefferson and then if it works well on a Buffalo.
Just echoing Buckle boys post, I also seen the pics a guy had of some buffalo's he had cleaned with lime-away Gel in the green bottle, they looked like new when he was done and I can't wait to try it. I think I'll take BB's advice and try some jeffersons first though, but the pics he had were really amazing results. Hope it helps ya bud and nice find!
I have now tried the Lime-Away on a "red" Jefferson. It turned out grey and clean. I'm currently trying it on a ratty old Buffalo I found. I'll post the results when the process is done.
Buy several bags of soft erasers that fit over a pencil eraser. Examine to make
sure it doesn't leave the slightest trace and change to new eraser when it gets
dirty. The grime will transfer to the eraser and is removable. Coin edges are
easily cleaned with erasers instead of chemicals.