What's new

What is the best way to dig dry dirt?

French Creek hunter

Full Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2011
Messages
100
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5id, Minelab E-Trac.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always mad when I dig dry dirt,especially under large trees. What is the best way to ensure that the dirt doesn't fall apart from the clod? I always dig this way and every time I lift the clod out it falls apart and leaves me with a hand full of grass and rocks. I always have to mess up the grass because it didn't come out right. When i cover back the hole it is noticeable. :angry5:

Maybe I should just wait after a big rain storm. :tongue3:
 
use a ground cloth, my ground cloth is a 18"X18" piece of rolled rubber roofing... holds all the dirt and top plug and easy to pour the dirt and rocks back in the hole... then the plug,leave the ground as you found it,cover all your holes
Gary
 
I use a plastic Frisbee..Just cut a small notch out of the lip { maybe a couple of inches wide } and you can just funnel the dirt right back in the hole when finished..
 
I think the first two responders are missing the OP's point.

When he cuts the plug, the dirt is so dry that even the grass part doesn't stay together. It just crumbles into a big mess and can't be put back together to look natural.

My solution: Stop digging when it's so dry. Wait for it to rain.
 
I dig a round plug just deep enough to lift out the grass plug and set it asside. Then I dig the dirt out and put it on a towel, clame my target, fill the hole and cap with grass plug. This only works if there is enough grass to hold the plug together.
 
FCH , Why not just pack a water bottle( hipmount or backpack) in with you and just douse the
signal area- wait a couple minutes, and cut that moist plug !!! What say you ? Argentium.
 
Wait until there is more moisture in the soil. You will never dig a clean hole in ground that dry, and it will always kill the grass.

I put away my land detector in the middle of summer because the effort and damage aren't worth the reward. There are other treasure hunting options like beach (or lake) hunting, river hunting, dump digging, prospecting, etc.
 
first off thank you for taking the time to actually care about this hobby and try and do things the right way ive had this problem in the past as the ground around here is quite dry in the summer in parks and such the solution either try probing using either a homemade probe i use a ice pick you know the kind with the wooden handle and metal shank works good and after the target is located use a poping method just make a small deep cut just behind the target (one single line)and then either use your finger to reach into the opening carefull i might add or use your knife or probe to pop the coin or target out no need to dig a plug or move a bunch of dirt a detector with depth meter is helpfull in these situations and pinpointing good is a must aswell hope this help good luck
 
bazinga said:
I think the first two responders are missing the OP's point.

When he cuts the plug, the dirt is so dry that even the grass part doesn't stay together. It just crumbles into a big mess and can't be put back together to look natural.

My solution: Stop digging when it's so dry. Wait for it to rain.

Couldn't agree more. Lots of other places to detect in times like this that you won't leave a footprint of the hobby. Better to wait til it rains than to lose the privelige to detect all together.

Al
 
Look at the situation! The grass roots extend down about 3". In dry wheather the grass will only hold soil to that dept, so run your hand trowl just under the roots and lift off the sod plug top. Set this aside for the plug cover on the tarp as suggested above. Now you can remove the desired amount of dry soil to recover the target. It would be best to carry a canteen as suggested above to add a little water to stimulate the roots. Now fill the hole after recovery and place the plug. Neat finish even in dry wheather. Frank
 
That would be nice.. I've already done the site,it wasn't to mad in the digging department.

handy said:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom