What's new

What is the cheapest yet oldest Gold coin I could purchase?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
5,736
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys! I want to know what the cheapest gold coin I could purchase, that is old. HAS to be U.S. Currency. I hate foreign coins unless they are given to me as a gift.
 
I would have to say a lower denomination coin like a dollar or 2.5 dollar coin. You can find coins like these date from the 1870's and up for a couple hundred depending on condition. I personally think the key to buying gold coins is spend the extra couple of dollars and get one that has a low mintage.
 
First known case of FOREIGNCOINOFOBIA !! :icon_scratch:

Interesting ! ;D :D
 
Don't know, I think a big hammered Spanish gold looks pretty good! :D
 
Zephyr said:
TheDane said:
First known case of FOREIGNCOINOFOBIA !! :icon_scratch:

Interesting ! ;D :D
That would be... XenoChrometophobia ;D

Nice word !! :o ;D

Let´s use that instead !! :D :thumbsup:
 
All depends on what denomination your looking for but i would say $2.5 indian or even a $5 coronet head. Each can be found for around $200-280. I bought an 1880 $5 coronet head from a coin dealer i go to about 1 1/2 yrs ago for $215 which was graded by them as AU. I sent it in to ICG and it came back graded as AU 58. Definately a good buy on my part the $215 i spent now red books at about $335 in 2010 Red book.

-Dan
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom