What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!!!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
When I used to water hunt, I would keep my eyes open for "floaters" ( waterlogged paper money), If I was doing good that day, the swimming munchkins would start to pester me with questions, what are you looking for? FLOATERS! I would reply. Around here, floaters are drowning victims. The kids would leave quickly and tell their parents, then they would pack up and leave.......NGE

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
A buddy and I were detecting the yard of a country home, where a stage stop had once stood. We were inside the picket fence line, at this country cross-roads, when a pickup truck pulled up along the shoulder of the road. He rolled down his window and motioned me to come over and talk to him. I pulled off my headphones, and we started this conversation over the fence-line:

"Can you guys come down to my place, down the road, and do that in my yard when you're done here?" [I'm thinking "wow, it's not very often total strangers stop to invite you to detect their yards!"].

So I tell him "Sure, we can do your yard too. But first, tell me how old your house is." The fellow looked at me sort of puzzled, and said "built in the 1940s I think". At that, I said "Well, we sort of prefer to do older spots". He looked at me sort of puzzled again, and said "But you'll still do it though?" I said "ok, if we have time....". Next he asks "How much do you charge?" To which I reply "Nothing. We enjoy this. It's our hobby." Now at this point, the guy looked really puzzled, and insisted, "No, .... really, I'd want to pay you."

This back and forth conversation and negotiation went on for a full minute, before it finally dawned on me ........ He thought we were weed-wacking! :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

:laughing7: :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is that one of them detectors
that shows you what's in the ground ?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was way up in the UP, took a bunch of dirt 2 tracks, really needed gas, came into this little hamlet with an old cement block gas station, pulled up to the pumps and before i could get out this old man was at my window asking me how much I wanted? I told him to fill it up. While I was sitting in the truck waiting I noticed how old everything looked so I stuck my head out the window and I asked the old guy if there were any old parks in the area. Well, the old fella sort of rubbed his chin as he thought about my question, and then came this:

"You mean like, with swings and stuff?"
"Yep"
"Hu...." he replied as he continued to rub his chin, "now that's a might good idea."

But it gets better, as the old man's reply wasn't the stupid part. As we were driving away laughing about it my buddy and I had this little conversation;

"Can you believe that!" I croned!
"No, I can't!" my Buddy replied as he was nearly rolling on the floor, "One house and one gas station and you asked them if they had a park!"

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop said:
I was way up in the UP, took a bunch of dirt 2 tracks, really needed gas, came into this little hamlet with an old cement block gas station, pulled up to the pumps and before i could get out this old man was at my window asking me how much I wanted? I told him to fill it up. While I was sitting in the truck waiting I noticed how old everything looked so I stuck my head out the window and I asked the old guy if there were any old parks in the area. Well, the old fella sort of rubbed his chin as he thought about my question, and then came this:

"Yep"
"Hu...." he replied as he continued to rub his chin, "now that's a might good idea."

But it gets better, as the old man's reply wasn't the stupid part. As we were driving away laughing about it my buddy and I had this little conversation;

"No, I can't!" my Buddy replied as he was nearly rolling on the floor, "One house and one gas station and you asked them if they had a park!"

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Some times it how fast you can come back with a smart @ssed Comment that they will believe!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
bigscoop said:

"Yep"

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Some times it how fast you can come back with a smart @ssed Comment that they will believe!!!

Unfortunately, that's a true story. When we hit the road we have a blast, things just seem to happen. It's the biggest reason I like going as often as I can. All of my friends have great sense of humors! :laughing7:

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my share of funny comments. I was detecting around a old building one day and this lady stopped and got out of her car and walked up to me with a confused look on her face and she said What are you doing ? I said Dirt fishing. She looked even more confused and said Have you caught anything?

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a park in a small town and these 2 women walked by , One of them looked at me then at the other lady and she said That's sad. The other lady looked at me and said Well atleast he aint walking up to people asking for spare change.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Los Angeles at a park and a group of young black people walked up to me. One of them looked at me kind of confused and she said What kind of gun is that?

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
You should have said, " It's not a gun" it's a "Ghetto Blaster"........NGE

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting the yard of a fancy house a family member owns in Los Angeles and a man in a brand new fancy model car pulled over and got out and walked over to me and stood there watching me detect for a few minutes wearing a fancy looking eye catching silk shirt and leather pants and gator skin shoes. He finally said Have you ever found anything worth money with that? I looked at him and I said Yep, I found all the money you threw away on those clothes shoes and that car.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Stranger : "Ever found anything worth money with that thing ?"
Me : "You just get off work ?"
S : "Uh huh ."
M : "I don't hafta on account of this thing ."
No more questions .

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a small town detecting a old park and 2 cops walked up to me and one of them said Young man , What are you doing? I looked at them kind of funny and knew I had to say something so I said I'm looking for something I lost. One of the cops said What did you lose ? I said My money. The cop said When did you lose it? I said About 110 years ago. The cop looked at me kind of funny and said What do you mean 110 years ago? I said Well sir you see I'm a vampire so I don't age and about 110 years ago I was forced to bury my money because I was going to meet my wifes family and I was ambushed by my in laws Buffy and Van Helsing. The cops looked at eachother and turned around and walked as fast as they could back to their car and sped away. I saw one of the cops later at Dairy Queen and he was sitting there eating when I walked in and he looked up and saw me and he got up and almost ran out of there as I walked over to order my burger. Apparently I was a little too convincing when I said I was a vampire.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I were searching a city lot where a century old house had been torn down, situated next to the short drive into a shopping center. One American of African decent, driving by with his squeeze called out to me, "Hey, man. Have yu found anything?" and I yelled back, "Yes. I found 2 pennies." I heard him tell his girl, " see, a crazy-a$$ed white man." I had the best laugh at that, than I'd had in a loooooooong time. What made it so funny was the animated way he'd said that to the girl.

Guess you had to be there. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sitting at a table at a huge park in a tiny town, I don't know why but the park was almost bigger then the town itself. This young couple walked up to me and the guy was looking at the ground like he was in trouble and the girl said Excuse me, can you help find my husbands wedding ring? I said Sure and I reached into my pocket and pulled out a men's wedding ring and said Is this it? The couple looked at eachother then at me and the guy said What are you David Copperfield? I said Why do you ask? He said How did my ring get in your pocket when I lost it on the other side of the park? I said Whats the inscription? He told me and I looked at the ring and I said Well it's your ring but I would be embarassed to be a man named Betty. The girl laughed and said You should have seen my parents reaction when I told them my fiance's name was Betty.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cherokee_Kidd said:
I was sitting at a table at a huge park in a tiny town, I don't know why but the park was almost bigger then the town itself. This young couple walked up to me and the guy was looking at the ground like he was in trouble and the girl said Excuse me, can you help find my husbands wedding ring? I said Sure and I reached into my pocket and pulled out a men's wedding ring and said Is this it? The couple looked at eachother then at me and the guy said What are you David Copperfield? I said Why do you ask? He said How did my ring get in your pocket when I lost it on the other side of the park? I said Whats the inscription? He told me and I looked at the ring and I said Well it's your ring but I would be embarassed to be a man named Betty. The girl laughed and said You should have seen my parents reaction when I told them my fiance's name was Betty.

:laughing7: :laughing7: That reminds me of an old Johnny Cash song,
"How highs the B.S., Mama?"
"She said, It's four feet high and risin."
:laughing9: :laughing9:

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I forgot to mention I had the ring in my pocket cause he dropped it when they walk by the first time .

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too funny. Maybe he was TRYING to loose it and you double-crossed him with his wife. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread