What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!!!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dirty digger dude said:
"Teenager to his little brother as they were passing by......"See, if you don't go to college you will end up doing THAT for a living!"

I would love to be able to metal detect for a living...that would be SWEET!

OMG yes!!! I just love to show people my rings and other jewelry we find, plus we get all that exercise!!!! :hello2: We had a guy come up to us one day at the beach and ask us if we could scan his leg! Seems he had an 8 inch rod and some screws, he was trying to show off for the young eye candy he was with, guess we burst his bubble when Chug said no, go away! :laughing9: Red

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think one of my favorites was "Go on ahead, but you won't find anything good there, no ones lived in that old place for 50 years" I heard this one asking for permission to search an old collapsing Sears catalog farm house in Illinois. They were wrong by the way ;D

Another gem from a park....."Are you here to get rid of the gophers?"

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think this is a stupid question more a cute one.

I was at the beach and a little girl, maybe 7 yrs old came up to me and said "are you looking for treasure?".
I replied "yes". She continued to watch me for about 10 minutes, then she left. 5 minutes later she came back and said I should go over there and look because there was treasure over there. I tried to shake her then she told me she buried a stick and wanted me to find it

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to use that "land mine" story - that is just tooooo perfect!!!

We've heard a lot of stupid questions - from people thinking it was a geiger counter to the "do you ever find anything good".

But - the dumbest (or smartest) thing that has ever been said, happened just recently.

We found silver, and a guy came over - he saw us, and asked to see it - we showed it to him. He said - wow, cool. I'd love to get my boy scouts to do this. Do you mind if I keep this?

DOH!!!!!!

Beth

texwolf

Jul 31, 2009
Kerrville Texas
Detector(s) used
White's VX3. (White's Spectrum XLT) (FISHER 1280-X UNDERWATER) (Whites 6000 Di Detector Series 3 Frankenstein)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a true story that just happened this last week end. My bud Mel (borninok) and I were doing some river hunting and there was 4 hispanic boys aged from 7 to 12 and they asked " Hay Mister Chu looking for catfish wit toes tings" ? Mel was quick on the reply, No ALLIGATORS!! They left in a hurry!!!

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some pottery and my cousin asked if the detetcor found it...he was serious. :icon_scratch:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothing is here at a WW2 airbase my partner said! This was in 2006 and to date 5 other people and i have found over 1200 coins, buttons, rings, tokens, ammo, and everything in between. NUTIN huhh! Oh to date 3 dogtags have been returned. 20 to go 8)

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
aa battery said:
nothing is here at a WW2 airbase my partner said! This was in 2006 and to date 5 other people and i have found over 1200 coins, buttons, rings, tokens, ammo, and everything in between. NUTIN huhh! Oh to date 3 dogtags have been returned. 20 to go 8)

LOL good thing you didn't listen to him!!!! :headbang: Keep up the great work!!!! :notworthy: Red

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
aa battery said:

LOL good thing you didn't listen to him!!!! :headbang: Keep up the great work!!!! :notworthy: Red
:thumbsup:

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adults: "Is that a metal detector?" "Find any gold yet?" "Are those things legal?"

Kids: "Watchya listening to?" "Did you find any pirate's gold?" "Wow, a penny!" Gotta love those kids.....

I was at an inner city park this spring and had this shady character come up to me in a leather trench coat, felt gangster hat, and sunglasses. Kind of like someone you would see in a Matrix movie only with a thick, trimmed beard. I had my lesche down at my side just in case he was going to try something. He walked up and within seconds started a whirlwind of questions, it was funny to see how this tough guy just melted at the site of someone metal detecting. He kept telling me about a buddy of his who had a super nice "garmen" detector. I think he meant Garrett.

Last summer I was detecting the old ruins of a church when this fellow pulled over and approached me. It was immediately obvious that he had no knowledge of the hobby, other that it looked fun. I try to be informative and give the hobby a positive rep. So I was polite and answered his 20 thousand questions. He went on to tell me about his new top of the line detector. He said he paid $2k for it and it was "the best" on the market. I asked him what model it was thinking maybe an Etrac or V3i with a bunch of accys. He said he couldn't remember the name..... ::) After about 20 minutes the fellas wife started laying on the horn so he finally left. I wanted to give her a big kiss......

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
sometimes little kids can be annoying when I'm MDing any way, I had a couple of them ask me what I was doing and I told them I was making the park safe for them to play in. they didn't stick around very long

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Took my kids to a Conservation Area park and beach. Brought my detector along for giggles, but I knew the beach would be swarming with kids. Wasn't sure if I'd even use it or not. After an afternoon of sun and play my kids were zonked out on blankets so i thought "What the heck..."

Went down to the waterline and started swinging. Within 10 seconds a little kid comes up and goes "Whatca ya doin'?" I should have said "Clearing the beach of landmines" but I'm not like that so i said "Looking for stuff". He takes a step closer (well within my swinging arc) and says pointing "Whats that thing?" I said its a "metal detector" while i try to work around him. He takes another step closer and is now standing a foot away directly in front of me. He throws his little plastic boat down on top of my coil and says "Can you detect that?". :sign13:

I didn't answer. Not directly to him anyway. I looked up, took my sunglasses off and made eye contact with his parents who quickly called him over. If he had a bulb, it just got a bit dimmer.

S

stefen

Chug and Red said:
Just remember that this is a family orientated site!!!!Today i was detecting and some Idi@t walked by and said are you looking for Dogs@@t, and My answer to him was No I'm looking for the ring your wife lost yesterday!!!! and kept walking!!!!

I can't wear headphone's because of ear problems so i hear allot of dumb comments!!!! not from kids just the adults!!!!

Being that this is a family oriented site, I will refrain from... :read2:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I went to a local middle school and found the grounds kepper.I asked if I could hunt the school grounds. He said ,"yes,but you won't find anything,a man was here yeaterday and had a new detector,and it could even tell what year a coin was before he dug it."Still looking for one of those. Another time I was at a park,when a boy of about 12-13 came over to me and asked if I was going fishing,I said "yes,why?" He said,'I know where there are lots of worms." Another time a woman and her daughter approached me,very nervously I might add. They had watched me for about an hour.When they got close enough to get my attention,she asked,"Have you ever found a gold ring?" I said ,"Yes." She asked if it was a gold wedding band,to which I replied no.She then turned and walked away.??? Once on a beach,I was just exiting the sand when a woman approached me and asked me if I could find her wedding band? I said,"I'll try."She directed me to the very spot where she had lost it,supposedly. Funny how they know exactly where it was lost.She and all the others with her had been in and out of the water so many times,it was probably lost long before she got to that spot.Anyway,I searched the area and didn't find anything. She patiently watched me while I searched and then just walked away.Maybe she had legitimately lost one.Who Know? Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
::) We were out saturday in a park we like to hit, two guys are watching us walking around, Chug swinging, then me with the probe when he would hit a good signal. Anyway, he asked us if we had one of those geiger machines, or was it a metal detector? Chug said metal detector, the guy turns to his freind and said see? I told you it was a metal detector! ::) I told Cug next time we should dress up in suits and cover our heads, and make people think we were hazmat!!! :laughing9: Later that afternoon, some people walked by and the lady says in a syrupy voice, "Awwwww, what did you lose?" First thing that came out of my mouth was "My brain!" I don't mean to get smart, but when your asked a stupid question, sometimes things just pop out!!! :laughing9: Oh, we have also been asked if we are looking for fish, clams, and toys!!!! :laughing9: Red

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I have run into - and, I have this question for everybody - do you get people who think your detector is a geiger counter??

That is a question that I have heard way more times over the years, than I can count. I don't know if they don't know what a metal detector does versus what a geiger counter does - or what. Back when detectors were not as popular as they are now, I understood it - I mean, I'm from the generation that did civil defense drills at school, and the school had a geiger counter.

But now? Between folks thinking we are bums looking for loose change, to the folks who think we could do something better with our lives (I once told a guy that my detector cost most than his car - which at the time it probably did) - I have heard lots of crap. But, that geiger counter thing just bugs me, for some reason.

Beth

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mrs.oroblanco said:
One thing I have run into - and, I have this question for everybody - do you get people who think your detector is a geiger counter??

That is a question that I have heard way more times over the years, than I can count. I don't know if they don't know what a metal detector does versus what a geiger counter does - or what. Back when detectors were not as popular as they are now, I understood it - I mean, I'm from the generation that did civil defense drills at school, and the school had a geiger counter.

But now? Between folks thinking we are bums looking for loose change, to the folks who think we could do something better with our lives (I once told a guy that my detector cost most than his car - which at the time it probably did) - I have heard lots of crap. But, that geiger counter thing just bugs me, for some reason.

Beth

Yes Beth, we did on saturday, so Chug had to explain the difference, seems we get more strange and stupid questions from adults, and a little more intelligent from some kids. I couldn't believe it when I heard it, Chug says he has quite a few times. ::) Red

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Thanks for the answer - I was wondering if it was just in our neck of the woods. Apparently not. :dontknow:

Beth

::) Nope, guess they are all over, makes for some interesting and frustrating days! ::) Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread