What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!!!

PArebel

Oct 26, 2007
Clearfield County, PA
I was detecting a school playground and a guy stopped and asked me if "I was metal detecting". I told him yes and he went on his way.
This story is funny but I do not want it to be considered a "stupid question or comment" as it was the observation of a little girl in the 4th grade. I was showing my Civil War finds from VA to her class and gave the kids a chance to ask questions. The little girl told me her grandfather had been in that war and he still had his "gun" and the ammo for it. Of course, there are no CW veterans alive so maybe her granddad is a reenactor. I asked her to thank him for his service.
The teacher said one boy was really interested in the Civil War but was sick that day. I gave her a mini to give to him.
And, you will love this. The teacher used a projector to show some of my pictures of the Union trenches as they are today, with all the trees and shrubs growing in them. Little boy asked if someone had carved "that face" on one of the trees. That caught me off guard. I could not see a "face" so he came forward and pointed it out. Sure enough, the face was there but it was a section where a branch had broke off. Ah, kids. Just have to love them.
Had a good time and I hope the kids learned something.

MD epidemic

Nov 15, 2010
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal, wader,Vaquero,Ace 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting the wet sand. What are you doing clamming?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one's that wanna play "20 questions", when I got a faint target, I'm trying to haul in, can wear one's patience down.

But this is cute story.
At the beach, man with his teenage daughter and son, call me over.
He says, "Hey, my son swallowed a quarter when he was little, you wanna check him and see if it's still in there"?
I asked, "Which end, do you think I should start at, first? ;D

I tell everyone that asks, "I'm looking for "BUWIED TREASWURE", but I find mostly buried trash"!

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.
You people gave me a lot of laughs. Over the many years, I've had so many of those same questions asked me. Thanks for the memories, gang.
Once while a TV crew was checking my ability out, I was identifying targets as we went along in a city park. After digging up a soda can that I'd identified as such, with the base turned upwards, the moderator jokingly asked "why I hadn't identified the brand name of the soda". Then she wanted a "real" test so she had me stay with the Chief of Police inside City Hall, while she buried her small wedding band in the city park. Within just over one minute I called a "gold ring hit" and dug it up, before the television crew had the camera on their shoulder. We had to re-hide the ring so they could get the shot on film.... She believed in my ability after that. Just one of many "test" during my long career. LOLL
Richard

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I was detecting the local state park swim beach last summer. The place was packed with kids and adults. There were a large number of kids digging in the sand and making sand castles.
As I was detecting along I got a tap on my shoulder, turned around to see a park ranger. He said "you can't detect on the beach, we don't allow it". I asked why not, it's sand and I'm only using my sand scoop. He said " we don't want you guys digging holes in the sand, it makes the beach ugly".
I figured that with that sort of intelligence, arguing was a waste of time and left.

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:o :laughing9: :tongue3: Chug and I were out today at one of our favorite parks, when this gentleman came up and asked what we were doing. Chug said looking for coins and jewelry, and whatever else we find, he thought about it, and then asked"Can you use those to find clams?" Of course Chug told him what it will find, metal! The guy figures that since clams have an anomoly (sp?) and why won't it work! OMG, after that he kept coming up and asking such strange and funny questions, but the clam one was the best!!!! :laughing9: Red :laughing9:

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago about 1966, there were very few people with metal detectors in Connecticut. I remember many times when I was on Milford public beaches, many fools would yell out their cars windows: Are you looking for gold mines? I gave them dirty looks and keep on detecting. Now, there are too many people on the beaches with detectors.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Last Friday morning in a park at about 6 am I had this conversation:

bum: Hey Mister, can I have two bucks for a Big Gulp? (sure)
me: I didn't bring any money with me but if you wanna wait I will try to find you some money
bum: Well how much you got so far?
me: 13 cents
bum: Well how long will it take to get the rest?
me: I should have it in a couple of hours, you want to help by digging?
bum: nevermind

I'm not into MDing myself but have a wierd sence of humor.There are alot of people who do it on near by beaches so I started keeping one of the new gold looking coins with me and will come up behind someone with a detector to a spot they just covered and start yelling "Look what I just found!!" They always stop for atleast 10 minutes checking out their equipment.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwace said:
Last Friday morning in a park at about 6 am I had this conversation:

bum: Hey Mister, can I have two bucks for a Big Gulp? (sure)
me: I didn't bring any money with me but if you wanna wait I will try to find you some money
bum: Well how much you got so far?
me: 13 cents
bum: Well how long will it take to get the rest?
me: I should have it in a couple of hours, you want to help by digging?
bum: nevermind

yeah mention work and that will chase them off every time!

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
My and a friend once asked this older gentleman if we could relic hunt his yard, he said sure. This spot was know as a Confederate camp. Well went to the back yard and the first signal was a .69 3-ringer. Right after I dug the hole and retrieved the bullet the ol' fella came a run'n out asking what we were doing. We said looking for CW relics. He said "I said you could use the machines but not dig". So we had to leave :( :dontknow:

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
bill.png

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
One came to me and asked if that was a minebomb I said no its a whites :help:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
J.Cache said:
Last summer I was out hunting the fairgrounds, and this relatively intelligent looking guy came up to me. He says "Hey, I know a guy that has a detector that will find diamonds...It'll find diamonds and other gemstones too, you should look into getting one.".

How the hell do I respond to that?!?!

I'd say something like "Ask him if he wants to trade"

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While detecting in the water they ask "Does that work in the water"? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
truckinbutch said:
lookindown said:
While detecting in the water they ask "Does that work in the water"? :dontknow:
"Nawp . Just waded out here cause I needed to pee :tongue3:"

:sign10: :sign10: :sign10: OMG!!! Priceless!!!! :laughing9: :tongue3: Red

Attachments