Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm thinking that it's made of pot metal or zinc, which would make it a relatively modern 20thc loss. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's pewter, in my opinion the casting is too complicated to be pewter.

"Pot metal is an alloy of low-melting point metals that manufacturers use to make fast, inexpensive castings. The term "pot metal" came about due to the practice at automobile factories in the early 20th century of gathering up non-ferrous metal scraps from the manufacturing processes and melting them in one pot to form into cast products. A small amount of iron usually made it into the castings, but too much iron raised the melting point, so it was minimized. There is no metallurgical standard for pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast. Because of its low melting temperature, it requires no sophisticated foundry equipment or specialized molds. Many components common in pot metal are susceptible to corrosion from airborne acids and other contaminants, and internal corrosion of the metal often causes decorative plating to flake off. Pot metal is not easily glued, soldered, or welded. In the late nineteenth century, pot metal referred specifically to a copper alloy that was primarily alloyed with lead. Mixtures of 67% copper with 29% lead and 4% antimony and another one of 80% copper with 20% lead were common formulations."

It looks like it locked or snapped into a piece of metal, then something else slotted into the flat top portion? :icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• 20200320_143347-crop.jpg
    20200320_143347-crop.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Shark.tooth

Feb 11, 2020
New england
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace/ Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are correct. It seems modern to me also. Someone still lives on the property so very well could be something newer.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you are correct. It seems modern to me also. Someone still lives on the property so very well could be something newer.

I'm also thinking it might have to do with steel roofing or some type of metal shelving? :dontknow:
I have a feeling someone here will recognize what it was used for.
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread