What is this bullet?

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bullet a few inches down in an old Apache fortress, but I don't know much about it. It's 18.45mm tall and it's a 35 caliber round with a rounded off concave at the base. Any additional info you guys could give me? Like how old is it or which side may have been firing it?
20141008_111145.jpg 20141008_111110.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"which side may have been firing it?"

The good guys. 1930's police officer. It looks like a .38 Special round lead nose.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
.357-.358 is the exact size for the .38 caliber colt revolver bullet. This cartridge was originally developed in 1875 and adopted by the U S Army in 1892, but the diameter of those was .361, which rules out yours for being that early. Colt came out with the smaller .357 bullet with the idea of adapting the .36 caliber muzzle loading revolver over to metallic cartridges, in 1874, so it was the parent of the colt long, which lost favor in the war in the Philippines, 1899-1902, when the army decided they needed a larger pistol cartridge and adopted the 1911 .45 ACP. In the mix of all the .38 pistols and cartridges from that time until now, the .357 bullet has remained constant. Even though the model 1911 was the service pistol for years, the military used .38 caliber revolvers for various purposes at the same time, and the bullet you found has been real common, especially with the police. I know a pilot that flew Corsair's off the USS Princeton during the Korean war, and they all carried .38 specials. I've hand loaded many .38 cartridges, and I'm not familiar with the hollow base, which makes me think your bullet is an early one, but I have no proof. After all I've said, .38's are still used today, as are .357 magnums, which are the same size bullet. All of this is from an old man's memory, perhaps someone with younger brain cells will have something to say, and we will find out more. One fact is true, you have a .38 bullet.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I found it at an Indian fortress in the middle of no where, is that likely?

What years was it an Indian fort, when did the Apaches leave the area? Cowboys packed a lot of .38's. I've never cowboyed in Arizona, but I buckarooed in Nevada, and I packed a .38 Colt single action Army. I can vouch for a lot of .38 bullets out in the pucker brush in Nevada.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What years was it an Indian fort, when did the Apaches leave the area? Cowboys packed a lot of .38's. I've never cowboyed in Arizona, but I buckarooed in Nevada, and I packed a .38 Colt single action Army. I can vouch for a lot of .38 bullets out in the pucker brush in Nevada.

The Indians populated that area until 1880 or so.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found it at an Indian fortress in the middle of no where, is that likely?

You were there, so obviously the site has been contaminated with the present at least once.

I carry a .38 Spl currently when I'm out. It's still a useful caliber.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry a .38 Spl currently when I'm out. It's still a useful caliber.

If you have a larger frame .38 try the .38special + P.I dont know if I'd trust the smaller frame like a detective special.I used them sometimes in a .357.

Upvote 0

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a larger frame .38 try the .38special + P.I dont know if I'd trust the smaller frame like a detective special.I used them sometimes in a .357.

I would NOT recommend doing this in any .38 handgun ( or any +P caliber ammo) unless the "+P" is stamped in the barrel - any .38 +P in a .357 should be fine. Always lean on the side of safety when it comes to ammo and firearms , I'm just try to save someone's vision and or hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread