What is this?burial mound?

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
This is located right next to a major creek here in Alabama,there have been several mounds located next to this creek.I just started with google earth and learning.

P.S.,I am not a person who would violate the law and trespass on private property.I did 50 years ago when I was a kid,but things were different then as compared to now.I have a friend who works for the State of Alabama and his job is to investigate any reports of Indian settlements,who I would pass this information.I would however try to gain permission from owner to look for surface finds around the mound.

If I have offended anyone by this post please contact me by private e-mail so we can discuss this in proper fashion instead of trying to have my thread stricken from this site,I am an agreeable guy!

Attachments

• Item A.jpg
    Item A.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,827
OP
OP
downindixie

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Well,one of my post I had stated that I had snuck onto some property that had once held some burial mounds.I failed to mention that it was 50 years ago when I was 11 years old and the burial mounds had already been bulldozed by the owner.My post was pulled by the moderator with my chance of defending myself.So I'm just trying to be careful now!

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
DownInDixie, you need to look over www.preserveala.org Its a fairly new, in terms of decades, commiassion refered to as AHC. I asked two of the members about cache hunting/digging on private property over 50 yrs old, do you have any control of this?, they said no, unless its a possible old fort OR Related to Indian lore, then they can control the search even IF ON PRIVATE Property. ANd if you and an owner get togrther, you can't ever tell anyone or they will seek you out. They are the ones that charged the scuba diver for b'ham for taking a rirfe he found on the bottom of a river. Its like (the bottom of a river) finding something on state property.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
It's really hard to say for sure using Google Earth. Try downloading and using WorldWind from NASA that allows you to switch from Aerial Photography to Topographical Maps instantly. Many burial mounds in South Alabama and N.W. Florida are marked on the standard USGS Topo Maps.

Pcolaboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread