What is this? Eagle sitting on a rock?

primetime21

Mar 10, 2013
Found next to that spoon from previous post. Def made from lead. Has the same look as a civil war bullet when it comes out of the ground. Any ideas?

image-65918662.jpg

image-2129058846.jpg

I'm gonna take a pic of my .69 caliber I found a few miles away from this carving and do a size comparison.

Upvote 0
Found an enfield bullet with teeth marks on it. Looks he may have bit the bullet literally

I'm gonna take a pic of my .69 caliber I found a few miles away from this carving and do a size comparison.

Surgeons would put a bullet between the teeth of soldiers when amputating limbs or probing for bullets, hence the saying "Bite the bullet".

Can you weigh the .69 cal and compare it to the weight of the carving? This would help determine if it could have been carved or even formed from a bullet.

Upvote 0
If this is CW, then it is a banner find. Did you find ANYTHING else in the Immediate area of where this was found?

Upvote 0
The .69 def weighs more. They would have had to flatten the bullet out a little but it's possible.

image-1548395678.jpg

image-4017976990.jpg

image-4181549609.jpg

image-3472009535.jpg

Upvote 0
If it is a CW carved (and there are quite a few documented lead carvings in CW artifact books, I don't have any of my books on hand rite now since I am not home at this moment but others may be able to look up some) then the soldier would have probably made a round ball in a mold then let extra lead drippings hang out too make extra piece of lead, then after it was dried used that to carve it.. Note: If you ever dug civil war melted lead in camps which you dig more than shotgun shells sometimes you can get the feel for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Surgeons would put a bullet between the teeth of soldiers when amputating limbs or probing for bullets, hence the saying "Bite the bullet".
C

Not to get off topic but from my research i find that the soldiers would have used leather or something in that nature to bite down on during amputations and not a bullet in most cases. Bullets were bit on during treatment of wounds and stuff like that!! but biting down on bullets during amputations I think that is a basically a myth imo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not to get off topic but from my research i find that the soldiers would have used leather or something in that nature to bite down on during amputations and not a bullet in most cases. Bullets were bit on during treatment of wounds and stuff like that!! but biting down on bullets during amputations I think that is a basically a myth imo

Makes sense, if I bit down on a bullet right now, I would definitely break some teeth. I just know that several excavations have recovered lead that had teeth marks in it, and they were most often found around known locations where there was surgical activity. And I saw a couple found by relic hunters on this site over the years. So we know that soldiers were biting on them for some reason but I agree, leather would be Much better. Sorry to get off topic.

I see no reason why that couldn't have been carved from a .69 cal and can clearly see the white patina is consistent with dug CW era lead. Still think its an amazing, even astounding find! Definitely a museum piece.

Upvote 0
Makes sense, if I bit down on a bullet right now, I would definitely break some teeth. I just know that several excavations have recovered lead that had teeth marks in it, and they were most often found around known locations where there was surgical activity. And I saw a couple found by relic hunters on this site over the years. So we know that soldiers were biting on them for some reason but I agree, leather would be Much better. Sorry to get off topic.

I see no reason why that couldn't have been carved from a .69 cal and can clearly see the white patina is consistent with dug CW era lead. Still think its an amazing, even astounding find! Definitely a museum piece.

I have found one. But remember lead is a soft metal!

Upvote 0
primetime21! Really unique find!! Probably carved out of stock!! To be carved out of a bullet, the person would be a true artist, of which obviously he was!! In any event CONGRATS on a Great Find!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back