What's new

What is this large metal ring?

justdigging50

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2009
Messages
426
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
Found this large metal (copper,Brass?) ring, any ideas. I was thinking wagon hardware.
 

Attachments

  • 7-6-2010 007.webp
    7-6-2010 007.webp
    63.8 KB · Views: 675
  • 7-6-2010 009.webp
    7-6-2010 009.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 656
  • 7-6-2010 011.webp
    7-6-2010 011.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 672
Looks like a shower curtain, or curtain ring.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Drawer pull or trunk handle?

Agreed .. I was just about to go back and edit my original post to say a drawer pull. Here is a photo of one similar.
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 11.49.39 PM.webp
    Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 11.49.39 PM.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I think you got it right. I would have never thought it was a drawer puller.
 
Upvote 0
One quick question - aren't drawer pull rings and shower curtain rings separated - your item seems to be a solid round ring?

Beth
 
Upvote 0
It's a pull ring. It was fastened to the draw or door with a narrow metal strap. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Thanks - is it possible to find a picture? I've looked, but, this feeble brain is having a hard time finding one -

Its just one of those days that started a week ago :BangHead: Thanks.

Beth
 
Upvote 0
makes sense a drawer pull, but it just doesn't look right being diff. thickness.
also, it sure looks familiar. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

don't mark it green check...may get others ideas.

ah!, it's probably just more decorative than the average drawer pull, but still a drawer pull.
 
Upvote 0
I have one of those wired on a muskrat trap chain. Not it's original use tho.
 
Upvote 0
Just another opinion, but it looks like a part to a harness or horse bit. The way it's worn would look like a thicker leather strap and chain hook up at the other end. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
That is an odd piece. . . I really like the idea of furniture
hardware but, to add fuel to the fire, it could also be part of a
horse tack "spinner".

A spinner would be attached to the harness above the horses
head as a decorative piece. . . like a hood ornament on a car).

The one you found is missing the center part that "spins" and the
attachment post to the harness.

Just a thought (SWAG)

DSC_7901 copy.webp
 

Attachments

  • DSC_7901 copy.webp
    DSC_7901 copy.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 462
Upvote 0
Here is an image of what I was talking about, knowing now they are called bit harness rings.


ring
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
I've got about 100 of those bits (in 40 slightly different styles) - I don't think thats it.

That one picture is certainly interesting (the one with the ring and the little paddle and the hook).

Beth
 
Upvote 0
i was thinking nautical because of it being brass?

also thought --- if it was attached to something that let it swing or pull out. it would swing less with the weight (heavier thickness) being closer to the attachment point. maybe purposely or decorative :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I'm with BCH, I think it is the ring from an antique drawer pull. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Might be a little small for what I'm thinking, but they can still be found here in Portland.

Early macadam streets had rings anchored in the concrete to tether your horse. As I remember them, they were usually 4-6 inches across, and often swivelled in an iron hook or eye-bolt fastened into the concrete. For tying up your horse or buggy, kind of like a hitching post, but later. Used in Portland until at least 1920's.
 
Upvote 0
I have been studying this ring and pondering its function since it was posted, and have come to the conclusion that it is the ring from a drop terret off of a team pad. If you notice at the top of the ring in the second photo, there seems to be considerable wear, consistent with years of rein straps rubbing against it. Here is a photo of one. What do you think?
 

Attachments

  • dropterret.webp
    dropterret.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 276
Upvote 0
creskol said:
I have been studying this ring and pondering its function since it was posted, and have come to the conclusion that it is the ring from a drop terret off of a team pad. Here is a photo of one. What do you think?
looks like a match
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom