What's new

What is this needle thingy off of?

turtlefoot13

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
733
Reaction score
105
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi All,

I went out and hunted an old home site today and came across one item I cannot identify. It has the shape of a clock hand but the way that it is mounted, I don't think that it can be. The needle or arrow was able to move at one time so it could point to different things and appears to be made of copper. Any ideas?

The site was an old home site, in town. There has been houses in that particular area since the 1920's but most everything I found was from the 1950's - to present day. The area had been rumored to have buried jars of coins on it so it had been hit a lot in the past. I had a chance to hit an area that had 50 year old concrete pulled up yesterday.

Thanks for looking.

Doug

dial001.jpg

dial002.jpg
 
Does the hole go all the way through? Im trying to determine if it had a shaft at one time.


Looking at it again, I think its a latch and not a pointer. I think the hard rubber, bakelite or plastic end has broken off. But I could be wrong. :D
 
Upvote 0
yeah the pointer end had a plastic handle, its a switch to something? possibly a model rail Road or one of those science experiments boards
 
Upvote 0
Yea Im sure its not an arrow. Its shaped so the plastic will lock on. It may even be from a lawn mower.

Clean it up and look closely for markings. Some bottom and side pics may help.
 
Upvote 0
It reminds me of the end panels to a roll up shade. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the relpies. I will try to get some more/better pics up soon. The hole is actually some sort of rivet, I think.

Doug
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Yea Im sure its not an arrow. Its shaped so the plastic will lock on. It may even be from a lawn mower.

Clean it up and look closely for markings. Some bottom and side pics may help.

I think you are close, bigcypresshunter .. I believe that it is a choke lever assembly off of an old engine, similar to this one, although the one here is newer and for a motorcycle.
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2010-03-08 at 7.35.27 AM.webp
    Screen shot 2010-03-08 at 7.35.27 AM.webp
    2.3 KB · Views: 332
Upvote 0
Good call on it being a handle not a pointer :icon_thumright:

bigcypresshunter said:
egg counter? :wink:

I like the egg counter idea :D
 
Upvote 0
I have seen this before..... Dr. Emmit Brown I think used this with his first prototype design on the flux capacitor to show when he hit 1.21 gigawatts.
Just teasing, I just could not resist. :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Lip Stick Tube counter?........ :laughing7: Now Breezie don't show that cat again.....I finally have got to where I'm not having wierd dreams about it. 8)
 
Upvote 0
I am surprised that you all don't recognize a wagon speedometer. You had stop, sundy ride and moma hold onto the kids.
 
Upvote 0
CoolFrayers said:
I have seen this before..... Dr. Emmit Brown I think used this with his first prototype design on the flux capacitor to show when he hit 1.21 gigawatts.
Just teasing, I just could not resist. :tongue3:

That's funny! I was just talking about Dr. Emmit Brown being my favourite sci-fi character of all time the day you wrote this post.

Doug
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom