✅ SOLVED What is this odd thing I found ?

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_9678.JPG 100_9679.JPG 100_9680.JPG 100_9681.JPG I found this many MANY years ago . I forgot all about it until today . Does anybody know what it was used for ? Maybe some type of hearth cooking tool ? It is blacksmith made and is about 22 inches long when closed . It opens up and you would put something inside and the spikes would hold it in place . I think maybe you would put a ham inside it and hang it up someway back years ago when people would kill hogs and cure the hams ? :BangHead:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent a clue But I am definitely curious! Maybe something to do with Hay or Ice?

Upvote 0

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a some sort of tool for moving large objects. It kind of reminds me of a tool used to spin logs when do tree work. I used one once or twice but can't remember what they are called.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think its a some sort of tool for moving large objects. It kind of reminds me of a tool used to spin logs when do tree work. I used one once or twice but can't remember what they are called.

You're thinking of a peavey, maybe? I don't know if it is, but if you've ever skinned catfish, I think that would be a handy tool for grasping the head while peeling off the skin.

Upvote 0

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking that may be a really old handmade tool used to make Brooms, it would help you hold the broom straw in a bundle while you secured it to the wooden handle by wrapping it with wire just above the 2 spikes.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking that may be a really old handmade tool used to make Brooms, it would help you hold the broom straw in a bundle while you secured it to the wooden handle by wrapping it with wire just above the 2 spikes.

Now that's an interesting theory... I like it.

BUT... here are some "broom making" tools.

machineD2.jpg machineA1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I could be of some help here, but someone will know for sure. I'm just guessing here, but I wonder too if this might be some sort of fireplace cooking device. Cool looking piece.

Upvote 0

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a cow catcher. Put it around the cows neck and when she tries to jump a fence, it hangs up. I have a few hanging in my barn.
The prongs dig into her neck and talks her into staying in the pasture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! That's what it is all right. :occasion14:

6-Vintage-Primitive-Cattle-Calf-Fence-Spiked-Collar.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was just about to say it looked like the air tool blacksmiths use to pump air that opens and closes compressing a balloon type thing in the center that blows out air to keep fire burning hot

Upvote 0

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was just about to say it looked like the air tool blacksmiths use to pump air that opens and closes compressing a balloon type thing in the center that blows out air to keep fire burning hot

No, its not a bellows.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
csa1865

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks WildPig . Looks like you are right on track . I am going to my neighbors house and dare his a55 to jump my fence ! ( HAHA )

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread