✅ SOLVED What is this odd thing I found ?

csa1865

Jun 1, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_9678.JPG100_9679.JPG100_9680.JPG100_9681.JPGI found this many MANY years ago . I forgot all about it until today . Does anybody know what it was used for ? Maybe some type of hearth cooking tool ? It is blacksmith made and is about 22 inches long when closed . It opens up and you would put something inside and the spikes would hold it in place . I think maybe you would put a ham inside it and hang it up someway back years ago when people would kill hogs and cure the hams ? :BangHead:

Havent a clue But I am definitely curious! Maybe something to do with Hay or Ice?

Upvote 0
I think its a some sort of tool for moving large objects. It kind of reminds me of a tool used to spin logs when do tree work. I used one once or twice but can't remember what they are called.

Upvote 0
I think its a some sort of tool for moving large objects. It kind of reminds me of a tool used to spin logs when do tree work. I used one once or twice but can't remember what they are called.

You're thinking of a peavey, maybe? I don't know if it is, but if you've ever skinned catfish, I think that would be a handy tool for grasping the head while peeling off the skin.

Upvote 0
Im thinking that may be a really old handmade tool used to make Brooms, it would help you hold the broom straw in a bundle while you secured it to the wooden handle by wrapping it with wire just above the 2 spikes.

Upvote 0
Im thinking that may be a really old handmade tool used to make Brooms, it would help you hold the broom straw in a bundle while you secured it to the wooden handle by wrapping it with wire just above the 2 spikes.

Now that's an interesting theory... I like it.

BUT... here are some "broom making" tools.

machineD2.jpgmachineA1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wish I could be of some help here, but someone will know for sure. I'm just guessing here, but I wonder too if this might be some sort of fireplace cooking device. Cool looking piece.

Upvote 0
Its a cow catcher. Put it around the cows neck and when she tries to jump a fence, it hangs up. I have a few hanging in my barn.
The prongs dig into her neck and talks her into staying in the pasture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! That's what it is all right. :occasion14:

6-Vintage-Primitive-Cattle-Calf-Fence-Spiked-Collar.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i was just about to say it looked like the air tool blacksmiths use to pump air that opens and closes compressing a balloon type thing in the center that blows out air to keep fire burning hot

Upvote 0
i was just about to say it looked like the air tool blacksmiths use to pump air that opens and closes compressing a balloon type thing in the center that blows out air to keep fire burning hot

No, its not a bellows.

Upvote 0
Thanks WildPig . Looks like you are right on track . I am going to my neighbors house and dare his a55 to jump my fence ! ( HAHA )

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back