What's new

What is this ribbon/medal

wettpaint

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
This belongs to my wife's grandfather. I think that it came from one of his brothers. Any help with its ID would be great, he just wants to know what it is.

Thanks,
Wettpaint
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0464.webp
    IMAG0464.webp
    280.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMAG0465.webp
    IMAG0465.webp
    283.2 KB · Views: 279
United Statas Victory Medal
Awarded for active duty service at any time between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946.

Edit: I stand corrected; World War II Victory Medal; thanks Eddie
Don...
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Ed! A little more info...

World War II (WWII) Victory Medal

Criteria: Awarded to any member of the United States military who served on active duty, or as a reservist, between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946. The World War II Victory Medal was first issued as a ribbon, and was referred to simply as the “Victory Ribbon.” By 1946, a full medal had been established which was referred to as the World War II Victory Medal. There is no minimum service time limit for the issuance of the World War II Victory Medal, and the National Personnel Records Center has reported some cases of service members receiving the award for simply a few days of service. As the Second World War ended in August 1945, there are also cases of service members, who had enlisted in 1946, receiving the decoration without having been a veteran of World War II.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks all I will pass this information along to my wife's grandfather. I think it was one of the few things he was given when his brother died. I'm sure it will mean more to him now that he knows exactly what it it.

Thanks
Wettpaint
 
Upvote 0
wettpaint said:
Thanks all I will pass this information along to my wife's grandfather. I think it was one of the few things he was given when his brother died. I'm sure it will mean more to him now that he knows exactly what it it.

Thanks
Wettpaint
Green check please. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom