dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6449.JPG
I made this simulated version of an old map of the small rectangle shape that I see on a lot of maps, but its never labeled. I was thinking maybe a horse's trough? or some type of laundry trough? any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think so ,the big squares are houses and the sheds are marked, it might look a tad smaller on map this is just a rough draft. You usually see them out of the way and some times with not much around them that's why I thought it might be a trough for horses, its shaped like that . you could be right I just seen them
on a lot of maps and they where never marked so I would think they were insignificant .It is in the horse and buggy era.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My bad; misunderstood the request. Have you MD-ed that area in question to see if some artifacts might give you a clue? Have you tried Google Earth to see what is there now, or the outline of what once was there?
Don...

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I did get some nice old coins there and buttons, that's why I was wondering it is really grown in and not much room to detect also it been detected before but this spot is very hard to detect so figured I asked before I spend the time clareing it out or just move on.let just say that if you went through this area and lost a good watch you would just say screw it rather then go back to find it also the out skirts have been hammered , so there's a reason this spot has not been touch .that's why I was looking for pos id .I just want to add it is the small rectangle in bottom left corner with arrow and question mark thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thing giving me fits

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Why don't you show us an actual example on a real map? Then you can get better guesses. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what the map looked like its hand drawn and its old , I have a few of them that I bought, If I put the actual map up I won't have to worrie about detecting it.l no guys seen old maps like this before .so I was just wondering,I would of put it in the map furum,but not to many people there .but thanks for the reply.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
since you know where it is, did you look for a published map, to see if that old hand drawn map was
drawn from a published map, if it was maybe the published map has that feature labled

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange, the original map has no Symbol Key ? I Image its some type of structure/building, maybe a old mill or something.. If its the same scale as the houses then its a big structure... :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen and studied many old maps and usually it will indicate another unnamed outbuilding or house, like in the map below:

map1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look in to it , I think the guy use to deliver ice and it was his route, so he used than as a point of reference.Its just a thing I seen on maps and it is never marked while everything els is so I think it was something stupid but I found some nice stuff like a 1802 large sent . so I'll keep plugging thanks

ingram4868

Jan 16, 2014
Sparks, NV
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Garrett-Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burial site?

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. Depending on the scale of your map, major structures are a little black, filled-in box, but if scale allows, all structures are shown in proportion and relation to each other

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I liked those old USGS maps. They even showed the corrals and outhouses. Frank... 111-1 profilecracked.jpg

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If this symbol is on an old topo map , its a abandoned ruin , rectangular in design ,pehaps an old chicken house.

OP
OP
D

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen than on old topo maps also and I seen one in a place that I no very well and now there is nothing there and don't look like there was anything ever there so I thought it was a mistake. . the big sqares are house with peoples names on them the sheds are marked so maybe it is a out hours or chicken coup or even something that once was.I thought it could also be a horses drinking place. Cause there out of the way .But take a metal note cause you will come across it at one point. Boy this spelling thing drives me crazy.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried to look it up on 1892 maps? you can usually find your town on them and look for free,just can't download .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread