ALABEAR
Full Member
- Joined
- Mar 20, 2005
- Messages
- 182
- Reaction score
- 0
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Bridgeport, Alabama
- Detector(s) used
- FISHER F75 LTD and some TESORO'S
Dug it in a field where I found Civil War bullets and an US belt buckle and part of a officers buckle, but there is some stuff from the 1920's through the 1940's trash at this one spot.notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:What type of area did ya dig it, field, CW site, skirmish area, etc etc. May be cannon ball fuze......NGE
- a piece of a trunnion or adjustment for a cannonbigcypresshunter said:I have no idea what it is but the inside view looks like that of a piston. It looks as if it may swivel on a wrist pin. It almost looks as if a connecting rod has broken the bottom skirt on both sides.![]()

I dont believe its a piston because of the lack of rings amongst other things. I only meant to state that the bottom view sure looks like one. The bottom skirt is also flared out and broken in 2 places as if made by the connecting rod. I have absolutely no idea what it could be.Blacksheep said:bigcypresshunter said:I have no idea what it is but the inside view looks like that of a piston. It looks as if it may swivel on a wrist pin. It almost looks as if a connecting rod has broken the bottom skirt on both sides.![]()
Good reasoning but missing an important component, seal rings. My guess is the area you thought would be a swivel (wrist pin) is actually a bolstered area designed for a tool/pipe/rod. To install/remove this "cap" without damage.
I first thought some type of piston as well.![]()
Yes the rubber or leather seal could have screwed on the top. As far as being made of brass almost everything old was. Aluminum was very expensive.