What's new

WHAT IS THIS?

COPPER DIME

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Swamp Land's of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE. Backup/ Whites Classic 5ID
i have found a few of these searching half dollars & quarters. as u see in the pic there is a circle scratched on the coin. i'm sure this happens in circulation & not at the mint.any help? thanks
COPPER DIME
 

Attachments

  • 066.webp
    066.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0
I think it comes from the roll machine, but that is only a guess.
I have came across many, from clad to 90%s that have this mark.
 
thanks 4 the answer! omegaman :thumbsup:. looking 4 other answers? thanks.
COPPER DIME
 
I see 'em all the time. I think it's from when CWI rolls them and they're on the end. Sucks when it's a 90%er.
 
Yep, the wrapping machine sometimes puts that on the coin at the end of the roll.
 
it from the machine that crimps the ends of hte rolls. The machine actually spins when it crimps, hence the circular marks.
 
OmegaMan said:
I think it comes from the roll machine, but that is only a guess.
That is my experience too. Check out a few uponened rolls and see what the end coins look like.
That happened to a franklin I got last year. Looks good getting Ben on the end of an unwrapped roll but that is what the machines do. :-[
 
Agreed with the other posts, it is the coin rolling process and very common.
 
One day nearly half dollar (the rejects at least) will have those marks on them as we keep sending them back to be rerolled over and over and over.

I'm seeing that in my rolls.. a higher percentage of them have these marks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom