What is this?

Tishtash

Greenie
Jan 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20200329_125320_01.jpg IMG_20200329_125320_02.jpg 20200407_162426.jpg 20200407_162356.jpg 20200407_162411.jpg 20200407_162308.jpg 20200407_162234.jpg 20200407_162221.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ancient corona test kit or a very brady bad luck charm

chub

OP
OP
T

Tishtash

Greenie
Jan 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very Brady bad luck charm? What do you mean? I can't tell if it's bone or ivory. It was buried in the edge of the driveway saw the point of the hat sticking out of the dirt so I dug it up

Last edited:

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks ivory. I'd compare to Alaskan native carvings

OP
OP
T

Tishtash

Greenie
Jan 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'll see what i can find

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heat a sewing needle with the flame from a lighter until it is red hot. Touch it to the bottom of the figure and gently try to push it into the bottom. If it goes in at all, it is a plastic of some kind. If the hot needle doesn't go into it or leave a mark, it is made of at the very least, bone, and could be ivory, but orientals made a lot of things like this out of animal or whale bone.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is IMO a little carved figure from Alaska... It is what appears to be Walrus Ivory.

Would bet on it.

It is called... "Inuit art"

OP
OP
T

Tishtash

Greenie
Jan 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found those online but can't find one that looks just like mine

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although what you have may well be Inuit-carved (if it’s ivory rather than resin), it has nothing to do with their culture. It’s what’s known as a “Billiken”… an imagined figure claimed to have been seen in a dream by the American art teacher and illustrator Florence Pretz of Missouri. She patented the design on 6th October 1908, taking the name “Billiken” from Bliss Carman's 1896 poem “Mr. Moon: A Song Of The Little People.”

She then commercialized it, selling all manner of objects using the figurine design as a good luck totem via the Billiken Company of Chicago: chalkware figures, dolls, moneybanks, jewelllery, lucky tokens, postcards and other items. The chalkware figures were also later sold with a throne that carried the motto "The God Of Things As They Ought To Be" around the base.

To buy a Billiken was said to give the purchaser luck, but to receive one as a gift would be better luck. The concept became a worldwide craze for several years and then faded into obscurity, although Billiken has been adopted as the official ‘God’ of the ‘Church of Good Luck’.

In 1909, Billikens began appearing in the souvenir shops of Alaska after an Eskimo carver in Nome called Angokwazhuk loosely copied it in ivory, based on one that had been given to him by a merchant. By the 1960s it was ubiquitous in larger Alaskan cities like Anchorage, and heavily touristed areas. These souvenirs were often accompanied by a little printed card that contained a largely invented history of Billiken and what he represented.

Here’s a couple of examples. The earrings are from the 1950s and the standalone carving perhaps somewhat older, but no earlier than 1909.

Billiken.jpg Billiken 2.jpg

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
How about adding a general location of your find. It may help narrow things down a bit.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's because they are each hand made... no 2 alike so to speak... there are individuals who practice the craft... each with their own "style" or "take"... on a fiqure.

Follow ?

Like I said .. it is Walrus Ivory OR walrus bone... or bone from anything really.

If it is Ivory it will be "telltale"...

Post picture of bottom and I will tell you if possible to see.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How identical do you need it to be? It is what it is... an Alaskan souvenir interpretation of modern invention known as a Billiken charm and post 1909. These are on display in the Hammer Museum in Haines, Alaska:

Billikens (Haines Museum Alaska).jpg

OP
OP
T

Tishtash

Greenie
Jan 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it buried except the point of it's hat at the edge of my driveway in southern Iowa

OP
OP
T

Tishtash

Greenie
Jan 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's because they are each hand made... no 2 alike so to speak... there are individuals who practice the craft... each with their own "style" or "take"... on a fiqure.

Follow ?

Like I said .. it is Walrus Ivory OR walrus bone... or bone from anything really.

If it is Ivory it will be "telltale"...

Post picture of bottom and I will tell you if possible to see.

I posted new up close pictures and pictures of the bottom also

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted new up close pictures and pictures of the bottom also

Ahhh yes... I see them... most people just post a new post with them so I never looked at top of page... sorry.

Anyway...

Yes... IMO you have walrus ivory.

Age... unknown.

Just for your own knowledge you should take all the info contained herein and use "keywords" for searching this criteria online...

spend some time researching...

don't rely solely here for we cannot see the item in person... and you can :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions