What's new

what kind of coin is this?

syko

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
384
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Manticore
I had tried previously to figure out what this was and I asked here.At the time I didn't have my camera, so I sketched a drawing.
Now I re-found it among other things and pulled out daughters camera,but it doesn't have a good macro. This is the best I can get.
 

Attachments

  • mystery coin.webp
    mystery coin.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 383
  • mystery coin reverse.webp
    mystery coin reverse.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 380
Can you post the drawing again?
 
Upvote 0
Actually, I found the original post I put out here almost 2 years ago. I totally forgot
that I did get help with an ID but had misplaced the coin shortly after, so I thought I had
lost it. Well tonight I found it again and since I was asked to repost the drawing, I searched for it
and do have an ID. Thanks BCH for the idea to post the drawing. Now to figure out some thing,
like value? Looks like if it's that old , I will never find anything like that, so maybe I should keep it. :icon_thumleft:

Here's the original post..
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,119329.msg876637.html#msg876637
 
Upvote 0
Deffinately a hammered coin! Don't know if it's real or not :dontknow:

It looks a bit thick in the pics!
 
Upvote 0
Not that I know about these coins, but I don't think it's fake.
I sure didn't make it. Would like to find more of these though...maybe contribute to the
Excal II fund. ;D
 
Upvote 0
SYKO said:
Actually, I found the original post I put out here almost 2 years ago. I totally forgot
that I did get help with an ID but had misplaced the coin shortly after, so I thought I had
lost it. Well tonight I found it again and since I was asked to repost the drawing, I searched for it
and do have an ID. Thanks BCH for the idea to post the drawing. Now to figure out some thing,
like value? Looks like if it's that old , I will never find anything like that, so maybe I should keep it. :icon_thumleft:

Here's the original post..
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,119329.msg876637.html#msg876637
Im reposting your drawing and the great ID made by TheDane.
alexiii23pts.webp
mystery_coin_side_2.webpmystery_coin_side_1.webp

Im sorry to say, where it was found and all things considered, that my guess is this shiny coin is a replica. It is hard to tell from the blurry pic but dont get your hopes too high. Possibly a recent loss from a modern Renaissance Fair. Its looks too shiny to be real. Have you had it tested for silver? If its pot metal, its not real. Hard to tell by the pic. But I would rather find this anyday over modern clad! Nice eyeball find. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
SYKO said:
Not that I know about these coins, but I don't think it's fake.
I sure didn't make it. Would like to find more of these though...maybe contribute to the
Excal II fund. ;D



so would i :-\ :D
 
Upvote 0
Any pawn shop can test. Now if it comes back silver, I need to rethink my hypothesis. :D

Either way you should keep it.
 
Upvote 0
yeah...something from a renaissance festival would be my luck :'(
Guess it had to be too good to be true..I need to do some silver test, now I've never done that,
is there a kit I can buy? Either way, it's cool, wish it would be the real thing though :D
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
Cool find! And great diagram CYP
That was SYCO's diagram from another thread. I just posted it here so we all could see it. :)



SYKO said:
yeah...something from a renaissance festival would be my luck :'(
Guess it had to be too good to be true..I need to do some silver test, now I've never done that,
is there a kit I can buy? Either way, it's cool, wish it would be the real thing though :D
Any pawn shop should be able to tell you if it is silver or not. You can buy a silver and gold test kit from Kellyco.
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
Deffinately a hammered coin! Don't know if it's real or not :dontknow:

It looks a bit thick in the pics!

not real
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Deffinately a hammered coin! Don't know if it's real or not :dontknow:

It looks a bit thick in the pics!

not real



There's nothing like breaking it gently :D
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
Deffinately a hammered coin! Don't know if it's real or not :dontknow:

It looks a bit thick in the pics!

not real



There's nothing like breaking it gently :D
There is no nice way to say it but he posted it in What is It and deserves nothing but the truth. Look at the facts:

1- It is an old hammered British coin found in a Texas school field.

2- It is an eyeball find laying on the surface, probably recently lost.

3- It is shiny with no apparent corrosion and doesnt look like old silver.


With a clearer picture we can tell you more but it all points to modern replica. Either way its a cool eyeball find that got you interested in coins, so its a keeper. Testing for silver will tell you for sure.
 
Upvote 0
I think I will toss it in the ocean cause it's fake......... :'( j/k :D
It did get me into paying attention to my change and of course if it was real, that would be
awesome to hold a coin from hundreds of years ago.
Guess it must be from the Renaissance festival or something...kinda hard to believe that Texas would
produce something like this. ;D
 
Upvote 0
SYKO said:
I think I will toss it in the ocean cause it's fake......... :'( j/k :D
It did get me into paying attention to my change and of course if it was real, that would be
awesome to hold a coin from hundreds of years ago.
Guess it must be from the Renaissance festival or something...kinda hard to believe that Texas would
produce something like this. ;D
The only way would be if someone lost a coin from their coin collection. Its certainly possible.

Dont throw it away yet. I am not positively sure with the blurry pic. I would have it tested to see if its silver. Take it to any pawn or jewelry shop.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
SYKO said:
I think I will toss it in the ocean cause it's fake......... :'( j/k :D
It did get me into paying attention to my change and of course if it was real, that would be
awesome to hold a coin from hundreds of years ago.
Guess it must be from the Renaissance festival or something...kinda hard to believe that Texas would
produce something like this. ;D
The only way would be if someone lost a coin from their coin collection. Its certainly possible.

Dont throw it away yet. I am not positively sure with the blurry pic. I would have it tested to see if its silver. Take it to any pawn or jewelry shop.

Not forgetting, they make replicas with silver as well.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom