What's new

What Kind Of Rock Could It Be?

PointyRockHunter

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 4, 2019
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happened upon this rock a while back but still puzzled as to what it might be. I'm mostly a Native American artifact hunter so you can see why I just had to pick it up lol. Strange shape as if someone made it that way, and if not by some natural means there are 3 scratch/tally marks on the top side showing weathered patina, so I don't believe their are recent. The dimensions are
5 1/2 inches long, 1 1/4 wide and 1 1/4 tall, also weighs 13.2 ounces. Seems to have a very tiny reaction to magnets and doesn't leave a mark on paper. Brown outer crust with black core. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190204_211527747.webp
    IMG_20190204_211527747.webp
    263.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20190204_211540843.webp
    IMG_20190204_211540843.webp
    188.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20190204_211626523.webp
    IMG_20190204_211626523.webp
    171.9 KB · Views: 156
Hematite maybe? The grey colored inside where the chip is knocked off looks like the hematite I find around here. Gary
 
Upvote 0
Looks like basalt to me.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info and advise! Another member asked if the black part could be scratched with a knife. It will scratch with a knife and the marks turn silver/whitish in color.IMG_20190205_224712370.webp
 
Upvote 0
Thats a cool find does look like a tool of some sort
 
Upvote 0
Welcome also from Mi. Tommy
 
Upvote 0
I just finished putting in some slate tile so I got it on the brain but looks just like the iron stained bits with the black insides. How it would end up in that shape I’m not sure
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom