Hello all,
The mushroom in your picture might very well be "Marcolepiota Rachodes", also known as
"Shaggy Parasol". But as you'll notice in your picture the scales are less numerous. This is
one of the troubles of 'Ametuer' identification. They are similar but different. so beware!
My ID picture is shown here:
The "Coprinus Comatus" ,more commonly known as "Shaggy Mane", is also called "Inky Cap".
This is because the mushroom has a tall and slender manner of growth so to release it's
spores the outer edge of the cap turns up slightly and liquefies as it does thereby exposing
more of it's gills there the spores are. When these mushrooms are young and immature they
have a light golden brown color and if you slice them open the flesh and gills are white.
It is shown here:
I am a member of a Mycology club and we go on 'forays' just to find and identify mushrooms
and fungi. We also find good edible wild mushrooms. But after 4-5 years and seeing 100's of
different kinds of mushrooms there only 4 or 5 that I trust my own judgment to eat. I always
defer to the experts.
I suggest that you join a local group to educate yourself. There are different edible available
in different parts of the country.