What lost treasure/lost mine tale do you believe/disbelieve?

I believe the tales of lost treasures and lost mines are....

• ALL true

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MOSTLY true

• MOSTLY a pack of lies

• ALL a pack of lies

• Total voters

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The treasure or treasures I believe in most are the ones I'm most familiar with of course. I'm refering to the Lost Bowie Mine or San Saba Mines or Las Almagres Mine (they may actually be referring to each other to an extent) and the silver and gold that was supposedly pulled out of these mines by the Spaniards in the latter half of the 18'th century. Most geologists will scoff at the idea of any substantial gold being in Central Texas and yet I have been in some of these mines and I know for a FACT they are real. The Spanish would not have dug all that rock for decades for nothing if they were dry holes. I also know for a FACT that in western Llano County there is an active gold mine which the owners keep under wraps. Then there is the Heath Mine north of Llano which in recent history has produced gold and silver.
J Frank Dobie did a superb job of retelling some of these stories in his many books... but there are far more Spanish diggings in the Central Texas area than he recounted in his treasure stories. The loot went somewhere and during the hasty retreat of the Spanish under attack by Indians, I wager that much of the metal was secreted away in the texas hills. My search continues....

Attachments

• Spanish mine ore sample.jpg
    Spanish mine ore sample.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Spanish mine ore sample.jpg
    Spanish mine ore sample.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 857

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
joya_dorado said:
The treasure or treasures I believe in most are the ones I'm most familiar with of course.

Nice ore!!! I see yellow ;D :o :o

Don Jose my friend,
Loosing faith in your own mine? Everything ok down there little buddy? If you need anything, let me know :)

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
HOLA mi amigos,

Real de Tayopa, bite thy tongue! Of course Tayopa never existed, why it was all a made-up story to get more tourists to go off foraging in the most hostile recesses of Mexico, right? ;D :D ;) Hahahahaha!

Gold in Texas? Yes indeed, there IS gold in Texas! I cannot prove that the lost San Saba mines were gold (my own belief is they are silver mines, not gold) but enough evidence has been found to prove that the Spaniards were in fact mining SOMETHING there.

Good luck and good hunting friends, I hope you all find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread