What lost treasure/lost mine tale do you believe/disbelieve?

I believe the tales of lost treasures and lost mines are....

• ALL true

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MOSTLY true

• MOSTLY a pack of lies

• ALL a pack of lies

• Total voters

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Greetings friends,

Just curious, wanted to know how our members view the tales of lost treasures and lost mines etc. I would appreciate if you would post a reply here, and list:

1 - the treasure or mine tale you believe is true most strongly

and

2 - the treasure or mine tale you believe is false most strongly

Thank you in advance, and there are NO wrong answers, this is strictly your opinions and voting.

Oroblanco

K

Kentucky Kache

I believe the most likely to be true are the small caches people hid because they either had no bank or didn't trust banks. Misers, moonshiners, etc. Still you need to do some research. The ones I mostly believe in are a couple of leads I have been working on, so I don't wish to name them.

I believe the most likely to be false are the tales like the lost Dutchman where people go strictly on legend with nothing to back it up. These tales usually claim that a Fort Knox is buried somewhere.

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
I believe the most likely to be true are the small caches people hid because they either had no bank or didn't trust banks. Misers, moonshiners, etc. Still you need to do some research. The ones I mostly believe in are a couple of leads I have been working on, so I don't wish to name them.
Jbot is right on.

The Beale code is the one i reallly don't beleive in.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Oro - I like the "no right or wrong answer" part :)

The one I most believe: When Pizzaro captured the Inca Atahualpa and held him for ransom, the Inca empire began sending hordes of gold, silver and jewels to "purchase his freedom". Although a good deal of treasure made it's way into the Spanish hands, I believe much more was on it's way when news of the execution became known.

I firmly believe that somewhere(s) in the jungles/mountains of Peru/Ecuador lies large amounts of treasure hidden by the natives to keep it from Spanish hands. In addition, the fabulous wealth of precious metals and gemstones the Inca empire (and others in that area) have been proven to possess had to come from somewhere. I also firmly believe there are vast resources of gold and silver still waiting to be discovered.

The one I least believe: The LUE treasure story - no real specific reason that I don't believe it - just a gut feeling I guess.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Oroblanco said:
Greetings friends,

Just curious, wanted to know how our members view the tales of lost treasures and lost mines etc. I would appreciate if you would post a reply here, and list:

and

Thank you in advance, and there are NO wrong answers, this is strictly your opinions and voting.

Oroblanco

1) From the mouth of the finder directly to your ears with indisputable evidence to confirm it.
2) All others

K

Kentucky Kache

Springfield said:
1) From the mouth of the finder directly to your ears with indisputable evidence to confirm it.
2) All others
Are you saying you only believe in treasure that has been found?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
Oroblanco said:
Greetings friends,

and

Oroblanco

2) All others

Shoot - that's no fun :)

Gotta have some dreams and optimism to balance out the skepticism you know :)

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
jbot said:
Springfield said:
2) All others
Are you saying you only believe in treasure that has been found?

I believe in treasure I know is real. You have to have a system of evaluating the truth of a claim - it involves getting as close to the event as possible. If you talk directly to the claimant, that's the best information you can get. If you talk directly to a family member of his willing to partner up, that's very good. All other information degrades to hearsay, which, of course will be disinformation, whether intentional or not. If you read about it in a book, magazine, newspaper, this forum, etc., forget about ever getting close to the truth. There's no reason to believe that true information about a rich lost mine or a treasure cache will ever get to us. Use your noodle.

The well known 'biggies' - Lost Adams, Lost Dutchman, Victorio Peak, LUE, Carrie Shinob, etc., etc. probably all deal with substantial real caches that are by no means lost. They are still under control of their owners and are off limits to us if for no other reason than they are now located on land protected from private scrutiny (National Park, military reservation, Indian Reservation, etc.). Makes good bar talk, but you'll never even know what the truth is, let alone track it down.

That said, I'll agree that this lifestyle is fun, mysterious, challenging and a good way to keep your legs in shape, see some fabulous back country and own a handsome full bookcase. This in itself makes the effort worthwhile if you're enjoying the ride. Are there real treasures to be found? You bet, but if you're going to in on the chase of one of them, you're going to have to be very lucky.

By the way, just because a treasure has been found doesn't mean it's all gone.

K

Kentucky Kache

I did mention doing research. And there have been treasures found by leads from stories. Like you said, use your noodle. I would put more stock in a story I've researched well, than the chances of accidentally digging up something.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jbot said:
I believe the most likely to be false are the tales like the lost Dutchman where people go strictly on legend with nothing to back it up. These tales usually claim that a Fort Knox is buried somewhere.

Ahem,
This is the treasure I believe in the most. If I had to pick a treasure in the world that was most likely to exist, it would be the Lost Dutchman's Mine. I have personally seen too much evidence to prove it's existence. Also high ranking on the list is the German's treasure from WWII. There is that golden room, and all the other stuff they had. I believe a lot of it still exists somewhere and is waiting for someone to find. Also "lost" is the Ark of the Covenant. Kinda hard to say that one is a fake.

As for the least believable, I'd have to agree with the Lue treasure. Something about that is fishy.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Most of the biggies are falsified to a large extent, intentionally or not. There are literally thousands of others all around us that never make the treasure books. These are the ones I believe in.

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Jeffro said:
Most of the biggies are falsified to a large extent, intentionally or not. There are literally thousands of others all around us that never make the treasure books. These are the ones I believe in.
You took the words right out of my mouth Jeffro ;D
There are many treasure's waiting to be discovered , and I can honestly say that many have been stumbled upon

MB

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I forgot to put my own choices in here when I started this thread - so here goes...

Here are my choices:

Most favored for being TRUE…

La Purisma Concepcion silver-gold mine in southern Arizona. The photos of the ancient ruins of the mission visita and mine entrance as well as documentation convinced me. It has been found and lost more than once, perhaps covered by a landslide today, but I am convinced it is still there just waiting for someone to find it again. ;D

Most favored for being FALSE…

The Beale Treasure of Virginia. I am convinced the tale is fiction, the code fiction, and just not believable. The most difficult part of the tale (for me) is the time line – for Beale to have hauled such a massive treasure across the continent in that time period, utterly un-noticed and without roads is just nonsense to me. I do wish those who hunt for it the very best of luck, I hope I am wrong, and would be happy to have you show me the treasure and say “I told ya so!”. I won’t mind eating my words and will be among the first to clap you on the back and congratulate you. There are far too many other lost treasures/lost mines for me to expend my time on than this one, and just my own opinion. :o

Good luck and good hunting to you all, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay,

For my biggest treasure I believe is real, it's a tie between 17 Tons of Gold in NM, and The Virgen de Guadalupe Gold/Silver Mine near Tumacacori, Az. (But we can't forget about Tayopa either).

For the biggest treasure stories that I don't believe are Beale and Oak Island.

Mike

K

Kentucky Kache

The Oak Island site is fascinating. I don't know if it was a treasure site or not, but it had to be something. Someone went to alot of work putting timbers down there. And they have pulled up pieces of leather and gold chain.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that in order for a story to be good there needs to be " some " truth to it.. That's the hook that makes us look deeper. But What makes a story better is when there is some more " truths ". They can be small, large, many or even a little. The more truths that are connected to the story the better The story... That is was the story with little or now truth can be fairly quickly eliminated... and yet we still keep on it on it just in case. I also think that the years have a way of changing what was said or the context of the meaning. When the Yaqui Indian at Warner's was killed he supposedly left $ 4000 worth of gold under his bunk, @ say $20 a oz. that's 200 oz under a bunk?? and it wasn't noticed?? I'm sure it wasn't really @ $ 20 a oz... but just for giggles and grins...Those that know me know that I am in this for the stories and I have research a TON !!!! I have talked to many people and been to many historical societies etc... just like the rest of us. That was makes this fun. It's a cross between CSI and the History channel. I do this for fun,but yes, the " good " stories ALWAYS have some truth to it...and yes there are some with none... it's up to the researcher to find out....
Pall

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that the 17 Tons of treasure is real. I have spent a great deal of time doing research on this. And talking with other TreasureNet members.

I live near enff to the Beale treasure, that I can spend a little time looking for it. If it's real or not. Who knows.
I do know there is a "site" I would like to look for it, But the lady that owns the land won't let anyone " anyone being a treasure hunter " on her property.
She said a couple of guys came down from Canada dug some large holes and left a mess after they failed to find the treasure. That took care of anyone being able to search on her land.

I believe all treasure stories have some truth to them. Some more than others. My late friend Paul Henson would always tell me that if it seems to good to be true, then do more research, don't just write it off.

Clayton Ramey...Roadquest

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: I propose that Tayopa is a batch of BS developed to con money and have something for broke writers to earn a little bit of eating money in popular magazines.

The Forest Service proves that the Virgin de Guadalupe mine in Tumacacori, Az., doesn't exist and that the Jesuits never mined while standing upon a tailing pile.

I catalogue the Lost Dutchman in the same level.

As for 17 tons of gold, sheehs = 12 cu yards of Au. Rediculous.

I.E. 99% are pure BS, however ?? However, every so often someone doesn't realize this and finds one ???? hmmmmmmm I guess that one never knows.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions