What makes you Leave...

The people who have a garage sale every weekend, and those who you recognize from the Thrift Stores, Flee Markets, and other garage sales. They buy an item very cheap and mark it up at thier gsale.

I still check them out if I have time. I found one guy who has a yard sales every month.
He cleans out houses and attics and he doesn't always know what he has.
I picked up a jar of blank pennies (he thought they were bingo markers)

LOL! Yeah, I don't care for the baby stuffs either! LOL!
I will say this though. A young mother had a bunch of leotards for sale, that used to be her small daughters. There were like 40-45 of them, I gave her $10.00 for them all. I sold every one of them on Ebay! I would group them in three's, and a set of three would sell around $60 to $70.
They were nice little dance leotards! :laughing7:

Almost made me want to look into a distributorship for them things! Fabric and a serger would be cheaper though.
I can't BELEIVE the mark-up on them things! :o

The way I look at it, if your raising babies. you don't have money for really nice things, therefore I leave the yard sale..

the foreclosure have gotten so bad down here, I do the forexlosure inspection in 2 counties and I see alot of the same homes I do a monthly occupancy inspection, having yard sales. I have even stopped in to check out their stuff and over hear some conversation. Most cannot pay the house payment( bank wont accept them anyways) they are just trying to pay some bills. I find tons of stuff at the vacant houses and always have the back of the truck loaded and have people on my routes who I know try to sell on ebay and stop by and give them things they can sell.
I have gotten into the habit of taking all in date can goods and redistributing them to needy families I have also.Recently I found about 20lbs of copper at a vacant house and 2 days later gave it to handicapped guy who is losing all he has................so not all people who are asking top dollar are trying to squeeze ya, they are just trying to pay some bills.
I also have my own field service company and have a couple of crews that do the intial cuts and cleanouts and they all have weekly yards sales selling all the leftover furniture or whatnots, they all say if someone offers them any amount they usually take it, they got it for free anyways

The way I look at it, if your raising babies. you don't have money for really nice things, therefore I leave the yard sale..

I have to politely disagree with Frankendime, even at yard sales with mostly babies items, I ask if they have any old coins and broken jewelry they might want to part with. After all, you have already stopped to look and I have gotten some small coin collections that way. They just never thought about putting them on the ys. And raising a child and providing for it will make that coin collection they have taken out of their pocket change for years seem to have less sentimental value and be more valuable as real cash for their children's sake. Just my personal experience.

T.

Hi all. I've been Garage buying and selling for a couple of years now. I've just found this site, so I am just getting acquainted.

What tells you it is time to leave a sale without looking at everything. For me, as soon as I see a printed page from Amazon, Ebay, or some website with the price (usually Buy it Now), it is time to move on.

Going to a High-End neighborhood, walking up their long driveway they've blocked with one of their BMW's, seeing a sparse amount of items marked just below what they paid for it....then listen to their tone-of-voice attitude about their price when you ask how much on something that has no price marked on it....

But you have to find a little humor in places like that.... On one sale I went to, the older fellow had marked a lot of items with multiple price stickers that come with a garage sale kit when placing an ad in the local newspaper.... There was a $5, $2, and $1 sticker, each placed in a straight line. I thought it was a mark down.... When I went to pay, I handed him a dollar bill. He said, "It's eight dollars, not one." I looked at him and then he said, "There wasn't an $8 dollar sticker in that bunch, so you just add up all the numbers....."

Another way to get through some "Painful" overpriced sales, especially those that run "Estate Sales and Charge Sales Tax", try "Where's Waldo".....

I make it my MISSON to go into a place like that and find one thing they've overlooked or missed a pricing target. One "Company" had a heavy wooden case for rings, jewelry, and watches... My wife found an old Bulova ladies watch with a little tag marked for $8. She had them put it aside at the check out table while I went through a bowl of Baggies with costume jewelry. The checkout lady even picked it up and looked at it as she moved it to check out another customer.... When we got home, I looked on the back to find it marked "14kt"..... Last weekend we went to another professional estate sale where they had jewelry pinned to a 3x3' felt draped piece of plywood... I was having to be polite to another lady "Dealer" who had gotten to the board by one step ahead of me.... With the checkout ladies just 2 ft. away, I asked the price for the jewelry, all the items were $1 apiece. I pulled several pieces of flower-shaped broaches and a heavy broken bracelet, all stamped Sterling for $1 each. The $18.00 for all of it, I'd found Sterling that totaled 54 grams, but it was the pair of gold and pearl earrings that "just looked" like gold that I thought I'd gamble a dollar on. If the "Three Crowns" marking is Swedish, it's .083 silver, on a silver candy dish marked .50-cents, add another 102 grams of lower quality silver.....

When I got home I used my lighted magnifying glass and saw in the inside bend of the wire clip-on part of the pearl earring, it was a 14kt mark on both... One had two pearls missing, so I loosened the rest. The empty gold casting weighed 3.5 grams..... A total of 7 grams of 14kt is just over $200.00....

So, don't leave until you think you've given it a shot to out last and out win those that think their going to get you first...:icon_thumright:

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back