Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

What usually makes me leave a sale is not seeing any prices on items. Yes, I know prices are negotiable, but I hate when folks don't price things. (Hate when stores do that as well).

Anita

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
That's funny, because when I have a garage sale, I generally do not price each item. The time it would take is better spent cleaning and getting things ready. I almost never see prices on things in Garage sales out here.

A pet peeve, going to an advertized "Estate Sale," only to find out it is really just a garage sale where people think their stuff is really nice, thus deserving the tag, "Estate Sale."

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny, because when I have a garage sale, I generally do not price each item. The time it would take is better spent cleaning and getting things ready. I almost never see prices on things in Garage sales out here.

A pet peeve, going to an advertized "Estate Sale," only to find out it is really just a garage sale where people think their stuff is really nice, thus deserving the tag, "Estate Sale."

The vast majority of people do not price their items at the garage sales down here either.

Sometimes just the attitude of a person will turn me off from purchasing anything from them.
The printed ebay pages are laughable and I usually tell them to go ahead and try selling it on ebay if you think it's worth that much, or I just laugh shaking my head as i'm walking away empty handed.

I have the same pet peeve as you. Down here you have many "better than thou" individuals who, because they live in a well to do neighborhood with large homes, think their home earns the title of an "estate". It's a yard sale pal, get over yourself, this isn't the Hamptons. I drove 20 miles in one direction last Sunday for an "estate" sale listed for "one day only, everything must go, house load of stuff". Got there and see a couple tables of junk on the driveway. I was po'd for sure and told the lady as much. I should have done a little more research before I drove there to make sure it was an actual estate sale. I usually don't drive that far if I can't find any obits or court probate records that verifies a death. Sounds morbid but it helps to know a little about the person who's stuff you may be buying.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also leave the minute I see no prices..
What I do in that case is something called test pricing

When I come to a yardsale without prices, I test the waters

quickly find an item and a ask how much.
If it something that should cost a dollar and they say $5 then run away
If they say a dollar look for a little
If they say a quarter then look around very closely.

Things that make me leave quickly are

over priced Items
All baby Items
Ebay printouts

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do in that case is something called test pricing

When I come to a yardsale without prices, I test the waters

quickly find an item and a ask how much.
If it something that should cost a dollar and they say $5 then run away
If they say a dollar look for a little
If they say a quarter then look around very closely.

Things that make me leave quickly are

over priced Items
All baby Items
Ebay printouts

Thanks for the tips!

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with an earlier poster, attitude will get me to leave quicker than anything. Overpriced stuff will also do it. However, if the spread is good and well varied, I'll usually comb for those things I love, that most people either can't identify (ivory), or don't treasure (old engravings). I'm also frequently on the lookout for old broken furniture. I'm a woodworking hobbist and get most on my materials like that. I can make a dozen decorative boxes out of an old busted up mahogany table.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once left a yard sale when I discovered it was mostly my yard sale leftovers from last week

I had left a large free pile on curb someone snatched them up and had a yard sale the following weekend.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I don't mind the no prices garage sales. Just have to pick up an item and ask how much. Though I do enjoy it when I ask how much, and they respond with, make me an offer, or how much you think it is worth..... I always say $1, no matter the item. Kind of forces them to throw out a price or sell it to me for a dollar.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once left a yard sale when I discovered it was mostly my yard sale leftovers from last week

I had left a large free pile on curb someone snatched them up and had a yard sale the following weekend.
Now, that's rich! LOL! :tongue3:

I would usually leave when the van load of Hatians pull up. Can't stand ppl offering a nickel for everything!
I have stayed though, to help a lady help keep an eye out on them!
Attitude and demeanor tells whether I give them any of my money, that goes for garage sale, retail stores, resturants, clubs, people, etc.......... I am allergic to jerks and prefer to keep kitty in idiot free zones! :laughing7:

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't mind the no prices garage sales. Just have to pick up an item and ask how much. Though I do enjoy it when I ask how much, and they respond with, make me an offer, or how much you think it is worth..... I always say $1, no matter the item. Kind of forces them to throw out a price or sell it to me for a dollar.

I generally ask if they want to buy it or sell it. I would prefer to buy it from them, but I will sell it to them if they want to pay me for it.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to leave quickly when the person(s) doing the sale follow me around and as soon as I pick something up they tell me what it is and how nice/good condition its in etc. Let me decide for myself please...unless I ask about something. I also don't like no prices sales.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I tend to leave quickly when the person(s) doing the sale follow me around and as soon as I pick something up they tell me what it is and how nice/good condition its in etc. Let me decide for myself please...unless I ask about something. I also don't like no prices sales.

Man do I hate that too. Though I figure most people do also, so they get driven away. I can put up with a lot of crap in search of treasure. :tongue3:

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a sale once, they had some decent stuff, I had picked out a thing or two, but the guy running the sale would not shut up. I could not think. I was the only person at the sale and if I picked up "A" he would tell me about "B, C, and D" I finally asked him to stop talking so I could think. He apologized and within 2 minutes was at it again. I put my stuff down and left. I couldn't even stay to negotiate the final price.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I leave the minute I hear a seller saying "I had that appraised at......."
It happened again last weekend. Oh, and the Ebay printouts drive me off too.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that whole concept really bothers me. I know we have a "What's it Worth" category here, but something is worth what someone will buy it for then. Nothing more. If an item is worth so much, you shouldn't be selling it at a garage sale. So I hate the comment, "It's worth this much".

FloridaHunter

Dec 6, 2004
Florida
Two types of sales:

1. Trying to make money and lots of it.
2. Trying to get rid of stuff.

I get pretty turned off as soon as I realize it is type #1, but often you can still find items they have under-priced.

Also, I try my best to never pick up an item I am interested in unless it is already priced or very valuable (like gold/silver). I know from my own yard sales, if they pick an item up and ask the price they will almost always pay more; especially if they carry it around while looking at other items. Just a little trick of mine.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I see nothing but baby clothes
LOL! Yeah, I don't care for the baby stuffs either! LOL!
I will say this though. A young mother had a bunch of leotards for sale, that used to be her small daughters. There were like 40-45 of them, I gave her $10.00 for them all. I sold every one of them on Ebay! I would group them in three's, and a set of three would sell around $60 to $70.
They were nice little dance leotards! :laughing7:

Almost made me want to look into a distributorship for them things! Fabric and a serger would be cheaper though.
I can't BELEIVE the mark-up on them things! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread