What next? Getting Permission

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very new to metal detecting and so far have only hit a few schoolyards and one old homestead in the woods but I've been doing lots of research. I finally found a property about an hour from me where there were random finds of gold coins over the course of almost a decade-- nothing huge but enough to make me think there may be more. I've been able to locate the current site of the property which is still partially standing and the current owner. I've got a phone number and even a facebook profile. Unfortunately I also have the personality equivalent of a minor rash- bothersome but easily ignored. I have no idea how to approach this woman or what to say and this for me has been the most difficult part of metal detecting. Do I show all my cards right away or do I just tell her that I think her lot may have been the site of some historical activity and worth checking out? Do I offer her a percentage up front? I'm just thinking if a stranger reached out to me and asked to metal detect on my land, what would my reaction be (the door couldn't shut fast enough). If it were closer, I think I'd risk knocking on the door (and maybe bring my youngest kid to up my likability) but like I said, it's a long haul just to get turned away. Any advice before I blow it would be greatly appreciated.
-Jamie

Upvote 0

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At an hour drive I would find two or three other locations you could fall back on if she says no just to make the trip somewhat worth the effort.

I would go with a direct approach. Dress decent & leave all your stuff in your car/truck walk up to the door and politely ask permission. I usually knock and then step back at least 3 to 4 feet where I can easily be seen.

Rehearse what you want to convey..something like

Hi my name is ""
I was passing through new to the area and noticed the age of your home looking for places to metal detect I was wonder if you knew how old the home was?

Would you let me walk around with my machine and take a look. Maybe ask if she has ever lost anything?

I usually mention that I only use a small garden trowel. (no shovels) & put any dirt on a rag

I'm not expert at this either and feel super awkward even asking people I know. Its a numbers game gotta keep trying

I would not offer people anything and if I find something I either put it in my pouch if its junk or pocket if its nice. I may walk back to the truck if its really nice but I don't go crazy in the front yard riding my detector like a pony.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Another possibility is you can offer to do needed chores as a payback.
Lots of older people have trouble keeping up with everyday things, like hauling in groceries, cutting grass, shoveling snow. A person can really appreciate things that really seem small for you, and be very glad to see you at the door.

Mdbri

Apr 8, 2018
Maryland ,next to D.C.
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If gold was found,lady must have allowed it .in my opinion,i would think think she heard of gold if you did. If it’s a very large place I would see if there is a social way to meet. One that worked very well for me was yard sales.very good way to meet they are more open less suspicious,me knocking on door cold call , people furrow brow wondering what I’m after and why.i have small old key on key ring I show potential site owners, I never mention coins, at old places they are few anyway,I show something interesting enough they get it, but not valuable enough for them to to say no, why would I let you take my valuables.if it’s small place stop when you see her in yard.i have rung a bell at wrong time even though I was sure it wasn’t lunch or dinner time, they got annoyed and downhill from there. Be honest be normal and look them in the eye.offer to show and share. You would want that respect. Robert E Lee said , never lie to make a friend, never lie to keep a friend. Go and ask. I should say I have only approached large estates or farms.people with money aren’t always that approachable at their homes. Like the man before me said, dress neat a few steps back from the door is excellent advice.dont hem and haw, shuffle feeet stare at ground. My recent place was had with offer for powerwash job for cost of gas.😁he said “you probably don’t have to wait to powerwash to look around, there you go

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring your kid and have them ask. Who could refuse that? :icon_thumright: Just make sure they have a detector too, or have them do the digging, or the owner will see through that ruse in a hurry!

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eman1000 said it perfectly, IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread